How to find a switch's IP address? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login

Old 05-10-2014, 09:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default How to find a switch's IP address?

Hello
How do I find out a switch's IP address? My co-worker hooked up a brand new laptop to a switch that was a stand alone switch and not hooked to the LAN. He did a DOS command and found the switch's IP address, and then used that info to make the laptop the next corresponding ip address number. he then used the laptop to ping the switch. but how did he do this? what dos command did he use?

guam96913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Private Joker

Default Re: How to find a switch's IP address?

"ipconfig" most likely I'd assume.

Possibly using the /all switch as well.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 06:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master Techie

Hi there,

What make and model, and type of switch is it? Is it a Layer 2 or Layer 3, managed or unmanaged switch?

|Gaming PC| |Dell Latitude E7250| |Macbook Air 13" (Mid 2013)|
|Windows 10 Pro (x64)| |Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.3 GHz| |MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Gaming X| |Noctua NH-D15S CPU Cooler| |Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-GAMING 5 mATX Motherboard| |Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD| |Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4-SDRAM| |OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular PSU| |NZXT Vulcan Micro ATX Case|
Alvin.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 02:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by guam96913 View Post
Hello
How do I find out a switch's IP address? My co-worker hooked up a brand new laptop to a switch that was a stand alone switch and not hooked to the LAN. He did a DOS command and found the switch's IP address, and then used that info to make the laptop the next corresponding ip address number. he then used the laptop to ping the switch. but how did he do this? what dos command did he use?
Read please:
Need to find out IP Address of switch

If the switch is standalone and not hook up to the internet.
You won't be able to pull a ip address until dhcp assigns it one.
Carnage post will be on spot when you do connect and it shows a ip address from ipconfig/all.
Be sure to test ping it to make sure your data packets are going through smoothly.
-RockMan- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 03:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Private Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTech View Post
Read please:
Need to find out IP Address of switch

If the switch is standalone and not hook up to the internet.
You won't be able to pull a ip address until dhcp assigns it one.
Carnage post will be on spot when you do connect and it shows a ip address from ipconfig/all.
Be sure to test ping it to make sure your data packets are going through smoothly.
Doesn't need to be hooked up to the internet to be assigned an IP address. DHCP is managed by the switch itself or router. Just a network in general. Figured I would post that distinction for the OP.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 04:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Build Guru

If it's a simple hub or switch it will need a layer 3 for that DHCP assignment. If he does ipconfig while simply hooked up without assigning his own IP address then all he'll get is the 169 number. Pretty sure he just wanted to know how to get the gateway or "switch" address anyways.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 04:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnageX View Post
Doesn't need to be hooked up to the internet to be assigned an IP address. DHCP is managed by the switch itself or router. Just a network in general. Figured I would post that distinction for the OP.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Hi. This is assuming that the particular network switch which guam96913's co-worker is using (standalone and only a laptop connect to it) has built-in DHCP server capability. This will typically be found on a layer 3 network switch / core switch, and network routers.

Otherwise, if it is only a layer 1 or layer 2 switch / edge switch with no DHCP capability, then the switch will not have an IP address as it is not possible to assign one to this type of switch, nor will the switch have the ability to assign IP addresses to nodes connected to it. An exception to this will be if the switch is a managed switch permitting the assignment of an IP address to the switch for management access only.

To be sure, we would need to know the make and model of the network switch in question.

|Gaming PC| |Dell Latitude E7250| |Macbook Air 13" (Mid 2013)|
|Windows 10 Pro (x64)| |Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.3 GHz| |MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Gaming X| |Noctua NH-D15S CPU Cooler| |Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-GAMING 5 mATX Motherboard| |Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD| |Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4-SDRAM| |OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular PSU| |NZXT Vulcan Micro ATX Case|
Alvin.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 11:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Techie

Pretty much the only reliable way to see the IP configuration of a managed switch is to directly console into it. The thing with ipconfig is that it will show you the default gateway, but that IP might not even be on the switch that the machine is connected to.
DistraughtSysop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 12:23 AM   #9 (permalink)
Build Guru

I'm going to assume the switch in question was a regular consumer router.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ip address, switch