How can I check to see if my network card went bad? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 12:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default How can I check to see if my network card went bad?

Hey guys, I've been using an integrated network card(an nForce Network Controller) for awhile now, that came with a gateway I bought. The reason I feel like it might have been bad is because every single time I boot up my computer, my internet goes completely bad. Whereas when the computer is powered down, it's perfectly fine. I've tested this over the course of a week or so and I know that my computer is the culprit.

Some people have made mention of the possibility of a bandwidth hogging virus, but I remain somewhat unconvinced, as I have run several scans (Such as Spybot S&D, AVG, Malware Bytes and the like.), and none of them have yielded any results.

I'd really like to find the answer sometime soon, so I can decide if I need to reformat my harddrive, or if I need a new network card.

Old 07-18-2010, 01:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Default Re: How can I check to see if my network card went bad?

Is the adapter showing up in Device Manager? It could be a driver conflict with another component.

You should carefully run thru the guide at Spyware Asylum just to be sure.

Old 07-18-2010, 01:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaymate View Post
Is the adapter showing up in Device Manager? It could be a driver conflict with another component.

You should carefully run thru the guide at Spyware Asylum just to be sure.
From what I can tell through the Device Manager, there is no conflict whatsoever.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:23 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie

I say you should try to ping it using loop back go to cmd and do ping 127.0.0.1 just to make sure the card is even still functioning.

EDIT:
Now that I think of it, a bad network card of course would not bog down a network. Well for the **** of it go ahead and ping the network card if its successful I say just do a reinstall of the OS. Make life simple
Closed Thread