help! really odd problem!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

adampalmer001

Beta member
Hi all,

Having a really annoying problem, when i boot up my computer on occassions it will completely lock up and become unresponsive, i then have to turn it off manually. then when i turn it on again no signal will be sent to the moniter (moniter is on, and all fans and computer working and i think loading). after a while it will eventually work after a few trys. this is not connected to anything i.e. games inet etc just happen when it wants. im assuming it could be a video card problem but im not sure.

I have tried formating the drives, updating drivers, reseting cmos, updating bios and reseating the hardware, basically everything barring replacing parts. unfortunatly i can't try a different card as i have no other.

the fan in PSU is very noisy (scratchy) but works at correct rpm.

Has anyone heard of this before or could help?

any help would be great! Thanks in advance

computer specs
3.4Ghz p4
2Gb ram
256mb x600pro Gpu
Pci express asus motherboard
550W PSU

If it's freezing at bootup, usually that is related to software, depending on what point in bootup it's freezing at. Reformatting should have solved that issue. It still could be a driver issue, with the video card. I think you're correct in assuming that could be the cause of the problem. I would attempt to get another video card and see if the issue goes away. If not, then you know it's not the video. Is it onboard video, or a AGP card?

also it can be a hardware problem, when booting up it gets to a devise that wont work (HDD or floppy or cdrom) and stops there.
Mabye a HDD prob. Did you defrag and run chkdsk?

the problem is when the computer is running normally then freezes (not at start up) then when i load the computer after shutting down the screen will not come on at all. the screen will work after a few trys like a couple of hours later. Could it be overheating?

Thanks to those of you that are helpful!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom