Help needed - DVD drive and some general stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Healed

Beta member
Hello, everyone. Sorry to just barge in and post a question right away, but I have no other place to turn to.

I'm a very, very, VERY big computer-illiterate person. So please, bear with me on this one.

Right, so, a few hours ago, I had a massive Trojan outburst. AVG just started popping up like crazy warning me about infected files. I did then performed a full scan on both AVG and A-squared, and, between the two, at least 70 trojans were deleted. So I relaxed, and thought everything was alright.

Then, I noticed that some of my programs were missing. The ones whose absence I noticed weren't a big deal, since I had them backed up in CDs. But, as I try to install them again, I found out my DVD/CD Drive is not working. When I try to access it in any way, it says that the device is not available due to an I/O problem. I've tried rebooting. I've tried defragging. I've tried performing a rollback....nothing! Nothing worked. I went to Microsoft FAQs, and did as I was told. Didn't change a thing.

So, can anyone help me on this? The fact that I can't use my drive nor the programs that were uninstalled makes my computer close to useless. This is urgent, and I'm getting desperate.

Thanks to anyone who replies.

try this , start button. run box

sfc /scannow

it will start the system file checker. might ask you for your os cd during the check. sounds like you might have some damaged operating system files, that will check it.

post back with results

what version of windows are you using btw?

Thanks for the quick reply! :)

Well, doing what you told me, it does indeed ask for the Windows CD. However, and I know this sounds unbelievable, I bought this computer already put together from a small local shop, and it came with a pirate version of Windows XP. So, not only do I not have the CD, but I also have no idea what version it is. x(

Is there any way to do it that doesn't involve using the CD?

Edit:Oh. Wait. Would would I use the CD anyways? The thing i'm trying to repair is my DVD driver. >_>
Also, and this is a little off-topic, I found my dad's Windows XP CD. Thing is, it's SP1, and the one on my computer is SP2. Would it still work, it it were not for the fact I cannot use CDs?

Well Since your computer had so much crap on it that when you cleaned it off it killed it may be better off just reinstalling windows anyway. You can put the windows into the DVD drive and try to boot with it.
Just to see if it will read the disk. If it will then you'll know that the drive is ok. If you do reinstall make sure and do a full format upon reinstalling. The windows install will instruct you when to do this.

Well Since your computer had so much crap on it that when you cleaned it off it killed it may be better off just reinstalling windows anyway. You can put the windows into the DVD drive and try to boot with it.
Just to see if it will read the disk. If it will then you'll know that the drive is ok. If you do reinstall make sure and do a full format upon reinstalling. The windows install will instruct you when to do this.

Why, yes! Any CD I input before Windows launches is still read, and I can open it normally, as long as I don't remove or put any other CDs in.
*sigh* Everywhere I asked for help, I've been told to just reinstall Windows. But even if I get someone to lend me a CD or something, I can't afford to lose everything I have. Oh well, thanks for the help, anyway. ^^

Once again, I'm sorry for my complete lack of knowledge. I hope you can cope with this many questions.

Ok, so I have my Dad's Windows XP with Service Pack 1 CD, downloaded Service Pack 2, and have a read a tutorial on how to reinstall Windows using these things. The thing is, I haven't found a straight answer to these questions.

1 - Will reinstalling Windows erase the files on my computer.

2- If not, will files that are installed in my computer, like Office, AVG, or games still be usable after I reinstalled Windows?

Please, if possible, give the simplest possible answer, as my lack of knowledge, combined with the fact that english isn't my first language makes technical answers hard to understand. Thank you.

If you reinstall windows without formatting which is an option in the install. You may have some thing's working. But it's a hit and miss sanario.
Also if you do it this way if there is still malware on your current system it may still be there after install with.
You could also try this click on start go to control panel, system, hardwre, divice manager.
In device manager you will see dvd/cd rom listed close to the top. The plus next to it may already be open with a yellow ! mark or a red x either way open the + next to is and select remove this device and say yes.
Then restart your computer. Sometimes this will reinstall the drivers and fix it. It cant hurt because it isn't working anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom