HD question - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 03-23-2006, 12:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default HD question

I have an E machines desktop at home and sometimes when booting it will say OPERATING SYSTEM NOT FOUND. Usually if you restart it, Windows XP will kick in and run fine. My question is whether or not this is a start of the HD failing. I have a sony vaio laptop that started doing the same thing and eventually the HD went out completely. I have the computer under warranty, but usually they send someone out to look at the specific problem. The problem there is that he will want to see the specific problem and a lot of times the computer starts up fine. Does this sound like a HD problem or what else could be causing this?

Old 03-23-2006, 12:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Try running HD diagnostic utilities jus to make sure you don't have bad sectors and the controler is ok. But Most probaly somthing is messed up in the OS.

CompTIA A+
CompTIA Net+
MCP 2000
Old 03-23-2006, 03:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I used to get the problem with windows 95 all the time in my tech class. Usually the cause was becuase the HD was old, abused by kids. Their was an actual reason for it sometimes, but I could not recall.
Closed Thread