Harddrive boot order help needed ... - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 10:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Harddrive boot order help needed ...

So here is what I have done ...
1. unplugged the IDE drive
2. installed new SATA drive
3. installed windows on new sata drive
4. shut down machine and hooked up ide drive exactly as it was
5. rebooted intending on having the pc boot from sata and use ide as secondary drive so I can pull over the data I want to save before formatting the old IDE drive to clean it out

However the IDE drive insists on loading windows not the new SAta drive ! How do I get the Sata to boot and the IDE to run as storage only until I format it and remove the windows installed there ??? Are IDE drives sensitive as to where they are plugged in ? Should I just try another plug on the IDE chain to have it seen as a non primary drive ?

Old 12-29-2008, 10:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie

Default Re: Harddrive boot order help needed ...

IDE overrules Sata everything by shifting the default boot device(sata) down a notch in the list of hard drives found in the boot or boot order section of the bios. The ide drive made itself the default automatically upong being plugged back in.

Once you go into the boot section hightlight "hard drives" and press enter/return to bring up the list screen of all hard drives installed. Usually the NumPad plus and minus keys will move the drive hightlighted there to the top of the list making that the default.

Old 12-29-2008, 10:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks eyeCpc here is what I can see ...

I assume your instructions are to make changes during the "setup" before windows boots ?

The IDE is listed as Primary IDE" and the Sata is listed as "First SATA Master" under the MAIN settings window

In the Boot Device Priority window the SATA is listed first and the IDE second but it still uses the IDE windows when booting ???

Am I missing something ?

When I try and do as you suggest the + and - dont seem to do a thing, regardless the SATA is already listed first in the list. 1 SATA, 2 Maxtor IDE, 3 Bootable Add-in cards.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Techie

Since you installed Windows on the sata drive separately with the ide drive unplugged that will have it's own mbr entries and boot files seen there if the installation was complete. Your mention of shutting to replug the ide in right away may have prevented the new installation from finishing the setup causing the ide drive to load Windows.

The one thing to try now would be unplugging the ide drive long enough to verify Windows is running good on the sata. You can also boot live with a ubuntu cd and copy+paste files and folders over to the sata and then boot with a separate GParted live cd to reformat the ide drive's primary no longer seeing Windows there.

Which version of Windows are you running there?
Old 12-29-2008, 11:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeCpc View Post
Since you installed Windows on the sata drive separately with the ide drive unplugged that will have it's own mbr entries and boot files seen there if the installation was complete. Your mention of shutting to replug the ide in right away may have prevented the new installation from finishing the setup causing the ide drive to load Windows.

The one thing to try now would be unplugging the ide drive long enough to verify Windows is running good on the sata. You can also boot live with a ubuntu cd and copy+paste files and folders over to the sata and then boot with a separate GParted live cd to reformat the ide drive's primary no longer seeing Windows there.

Which version of Windows are you running there?
I did power down the PC and reboot to ensure that windows was running smoothly off the new SATA drive before powering down again to plug in the old IDE drive, if that makes a difference.

I will google ubuntu now to see what you are talking about as that is a new one to me. This seemed like such a simple solution when I first thought of it, never saw this coming. There just should be an option to turn off the IDE drive at boot in the BIOS but for the life of me I cant see it.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Techie

That was simply the alternative if needed. The post screen will always list the ide drives above the sata there if that is what you were going by.

For changing the default boot device from the ide to sata you have to go into the bios setup itself into the boot order section where you set the 1st, 2nd, 3rd drive sequence like cd rom, hard drive, floppy. When seeing "hard drives" you highlight that to bring up the list of hard drives(only) installed.

Closed Thread