Dell Insprion 1100 issues. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 11:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

Default Dell Insprion 1100 issues.

hey we've got this laptop at work that has some issues. first off, we did a complete format of the hdd, its also a new hdd for the laptop, and we did a format and installed xp home on it. when it boots up it says which os would you like to boot to and it gives the option of xp home or media center. also when i went to reinstall thinking someone didn't do a complete format on it, media center didn't show up as a recognized os on the windows install screen when it looks for os's to repair.

secondly the ethernet drivers worked on a first install of xp, then i reinstalled xp and the ethernet drivers don't work, so I went ahead and ran a full diag on it, and the only thing that failed on the diag test was a keyboard controller test. could this be part of a bigger problem?

-peter

A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 04-12-2008, 02:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

Triforcer

Default Re: Dell Insprion 1100 issues.

For your first problem just use a program to zero all the data on the drive. It shouldn't see anything after that.

Have you tried more than one driver for the ethernet? Sometimes the new ones don't work too well. If the keyboard failed the test it could just be that Windows didn't recognize it because it's a laptop. I'm not sure I would worry about it if it isn't doing anything screwy.

Old 04-12-2008, 02:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

ok. well the thing here's what happened, we installed xp, installed ethernet drivers, and the drivers worked, then something happened and i was told to reinstall, then i took the same drivers for ethernet and installed them and they didn't work.
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 04-12-2008, 04:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

Triforcer

Hmm. Was this on the same install of XP or the first time Media Center was installed and then you installed them again after the format?

If you're using the CD go online and get the newest ones. Also what do you mean the ethernet doesn't work? Does it say the device isn't installed? Or is it just not working even though it says the device was installed properly?

Closed Thread