computer shutting down while booting - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 03:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default computer shutting down while booting

I just built a new computer, and everything was working fine until the other night when I installed world of warcraft. when I logged onto my character my computer completely shut down about 45 seconds later, and does the same thing every time I try to play. After that my computer started shutting down while in the boot process. sometimes right after I'd press the power button to turn it on and sometimes after windows had been almost completely loaded.

I don't think it's an issue with over heating. The reason being is that I have so many fans, only one video card and a QX9650 processor, which as far as I know runs pretty cool. I have a 1000watt silverstone power supply, so I don't think it's an issue with the PSU either, unless it's just defective.

another thing I should mention is that one time when it booted after it had shut down I received an error. something about not being able to locate some file in system32. icons were missing from my desktop, and even though i'm running vista 64 bit the start menu looked like windows 98... ;( this is a nightmare.

anyway, everything seems to work fine once everything gets loaded, unless I try to play WoW.

any help would be appreciated. thanks in advance

Old 09-04-2008, 03:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ste
Do not Stare at my Avatar

Send a message via MSN to Ste
Default Re: computer shutting down while booting

Only thing you can do, next, is try another power supply.

If the problem presists try different RAM.

hence forth if the problem presists try a different video card.

If after trying a different power supply, different RAM and a different video card, and the problem still presists.

You then need to RMA the motherboard.

If you RMA the mobo and they say its fine and or they send you a new one and the problem still presists, then the CPU needs to be RMAed.

Old 09-04-2008, 06:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Well, I plugged my computer directly into the wall and it seems to be working fine (so far). I'm pretty sure it was my power strip. how lame >_> I was really scared there for a while.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Techie

It seems like there is something wrong in the video memory. You may want
to run a memory check using mem86 or windows memory check. I would check
the power supply as well

Sam
Old 09-04-2008, 08:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Try updating your video card and chipset drivers
Closed Thread