Computer Not Powering On...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liboicl

Beta member
I got an older computer gave to me. I was going to fix it up for my aunt. It had a problem with it's harddrive, would boot up and say non-system disk or something along that line. I got a hold of another harddrive, but now the computer isn't booting. I took it apart and reconnected all cables and moved the ram from slot 1 to slot 2. It turned on, but didn't show any video. I turned it off and it wouldn't turn on again, any ideas?

non-system disk means there is a floppy in the computer and the system is trying to boot off of it.

Do you know if the hard drive is good? Put the old hard drive back in and put the ram in the original slot. Then see if it will at least boot. If it gives that same error check the floppy drive, then you may need to format the drive and install an OS. Do you know if there was an OS on the hard drive?

non-system disk means there is a floppy in the computer and the system is trying to boot off of it.

Do you know if the hard drive is good? Put the old hard drive back in and put the ram in the original slot. Then see if it will at least boot. If it gives that same error check the floppy drive, then you may need to format the drive and install an OS. Do you know if there was an OS on the hard drive?

I don't know if it said non-system disk exactly. I just remember me saying there was something wrong with the harddrive. I have done tried putting the old one back in. Yes, it had XP on it. I had two of the exact model computers given to me. The other one was doing the same as this one with booting up with a error message, I switched harddrives and formated installed XP and it works perfect.

EDIT: I figured out something when it "came on" after I switched the RAM it was just the fan. I got it to do it again. The only thing running is the CPU fan. No lights, except on the PSU, nor any noises.

EDIT AGAIN: I reconnected harddrive and this time it made noises, but still no video.

EDIT ONCE AGAIN: I cleared the CMOS again and this time added a PCI video card, which worked, and changed setting in CMOS to AGP/Onboard and took out PCI card. I reinstalled new harddrive and am installing XP at the moment. Thanks anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom