Can't boot into Windows 7 HP dv6t-6100

O i got a replacement hard drive and still no luck...
I've tried Usb, Dvd, different win 7 versions and nothing...
Keeps getting stuck at Starting Windows when all 4 dots have joined.

O i got a replacement hard drive and still no luck...
I've tried Usb, Dvd, different win 7 versions and nothing...

You have some kind of quack job computer repair on your hands.. :/
Does that guy have any devices or old hardware that might be incompatible or failing to work with Bindows 7 ? "j/k" at the name abit :)

Read this article here:
Installing Windows 7 hangs in "Setup is starting " [Solved] - Windows 7 - Windows 7

It maybe a long shot but that might put you right at the answer to your problem.
If it still doesnt work ask tom's forum to help out as well.

I once had a core on a processor go bad and the computer would do some things and not others. Namely, the computer would hang on windows splash screen. Took the processor back and they said it was a one in 10K chance that it was what i said it was. Had them hook it up and run a diagnostic and sure enough only 3 of four cores were working. Any chance that could be related here?

I once had a core on a processor go bad and the computer would do some things and not others. Namely, the computer would hang on windows splash screen. Took the processor back and they said it was a one in 10K chance that it was what i said it was. Had them hook it up and run a diagnostic and sure enough only 3 of four cores were working. Any chance that could be related here?

Possibly so but I doubt that it might be the problem.
I need to see his bro laptop struggle with installing linux or older win os such as vista or xp.
If we can verify that he may need to be buy a new cpu after all.
Shouldnt cost too much if coming straight from amazon or pricewatch.com.

Possibly so but I doubt that it might be the problem.
I need to see his bro laptop struggle with installing linux or older win os such as vista or xp.
Krazy said he was able to boot into a LiveCD of Ubuntu just fine.

If we can verify that he may need to be buy a new cpu after all.
Shouldnt cost too much if coming straight from amazon or pricewatch.com.

Laptop CPU's are expensive as hell; usually no worth it to replace unless you can find a really good deal on eBay for one. That's assuming you can even remove the CPU from the laptop - some are soldered onto the board, rather than just in a socket.

Krazy said he was able to boot into a LiveCD of Ubuntu just fine.

You just missed the main point of my reply didn't you ?
Boot from a live cd sure thing carne, but installing it onto the hard drive is a whole different ball game.
I think 1truegamer may have a good point though and we'll see if hes right.
@krazy the ball is in your court if you want to attempt to into linux go ahead if you will and see what happens.

software.opensuse.org:

You just missed the main point of my reply didn't you ?
Boot from a live cd sure thing carne, but installing it onto the hard drive is a whole different ball game.
I think 1truegamer may have a good point though and we'll see if hes right.
@krazy the ball is in your court if you want to attempt to into linux go ahead if you will and see what happens.

software.opensuse.org:

Erm...it's still running off of hardware as a LiveCD (CPU/RAM/etc.). Krazy said he removed the HDD and it still had issues with locking up. Installing a Linux distro at this point is moot IMO if a LiveCD worked, since he already eliminated the HDD or software as a possible cause.

Erm...it's still running off of hardware as a LiveCD (CPU/RAM/etc.). Krazy said he removed the HDD and it still had issues with locking up. Installing a Linux distro at this point is moot IMO if a LiveCD worked, since he already eliminated the HDD or software as a possible cause.

............ Ok then carne what do you suggest he does to fix it immediatetly ?
When I look at his issue I see something far more differently then what your explaining to me and him.
Installing linux is not a option eh ? not in my book carne.
I want him to atleast try that soon.
If it does not install from the dvd/cd or usb it might be a cpu problem.
Multiple attempts from different os and still a no go should point right back at the cpu.
He verified and he tested the ram, hdd, so hes running out of options to look into to find the source of the problem.
The only thing left to verify if his brothers optical drive can read the dvd/cds its given.

Last edited:
............ Ok then carne what do you suggest he does to fix it immediatetly ?
Immediately? Replace the laptop ;).

When I look at his issue I see something far more differently then what your explaining to me and him.
Installing linux is not a option eh ? not in my book carne.
I want him to atleast try that soon.
Never said it wasn't an option - just said it wasn't really necessary because we know the HDD isn't the issue since he removed it from the laptop, and the Windows install disc still had the same issues. And he tried a completely different HDD / Windows install on the laptop, and it still froze. And the Linux LiveCD works already, so installing won't really prove anything IMO.

If it does not install from the dvd/cd or usb it might be a cpu problem.
Multiple attempts from different os and still a no go should point right back at the cpu.

A CPU issue should have cropped up when booting the laptop up...especially should have popped up when trying to load up Live Ubuntu.

As for what the true issue here is...that I'm still not sure.

That kinda sounds like there's an issue with the boot loader, Does this laptop have any other drives in it during the install? Something like a flash card...Windows 7 has this great thing about installing the boot files somewhere else other than the operating systems drive when there's another drive detected

Back
Top Bottom