BSOD on Start up

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmogg29

Solid State Member
Hi again,

I had a problem with random freezes and after the long process of elimination it turns out it was the motherboard. I sent it back for an RMA and they fixed it by updating the BIOS but a new problem has sprung.

This hasn't happened before even with the crashes so I can only assume it's a new problem with the BIOS or its compatibility with the OS (Windows 7 Ultimate 64x)

Whenever I start it up, it'll get to loading Windows for maybe a few seconds then I'll get a BSOD followed by an endless loop of the set up screen but before that it asks if I would like to repair windows or start windows normally. It doesn't matter which option I choose because either will start the loop again.

The weird thing is if I force shut down and boot it up again it'll start up just fine. But that can't be good for the PC so I'd like to get this fixed. I've tried flashing the motherboard to one version below the most recent (current) but it still crashed. My last resort would be to flash it back two versions below (that's when I froze up but didn't have troubles booting up) but that was the version I kept freezing up on so I'd like to avoid that if possible. Last result would be to reformat unless I find a solution.

Anyway here is an image of the blue screen I managed to capture:
oweh.png

Specs:
Windows XP SP2 (64-bit)
3.4 ghz AMD Phenom II X4 965
2x2gig DDR3 ram Dual Channel
(x2) 1TB Caviar Black (64mb/s) HDDs
EVGA GTX 460 video card
600W PSU

Are you sure it is 0X0000007g? Cause from my searches on not only Microsoft but Bing and Google there is no results at all for that error code. It isnt even listed in the Microsoft Database for BSoD Stop Codes. When searching it defaults to 0X0000007B. It looks like 0X0000007E to me.

Bug Check 0x7E: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

Cause

The SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED bug check is a very common bug check.
To interpret it, you must identify which exception was generated.

Common exception codes include the following:

• 0x80000002: STATUS_DATATYPE_MISALIGNMENT indicates an unaligned data
    reference was encountered.

• 0x80000003: STATUS_BREAKPOINT indicates a breakpoint or ASSERT was
    encountered when no kernel debugger was attached to the system.

• 0xC0000005: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION indicates a memory access violation
    occurred.
For a complete list of exception codes, see the Ntstatus.h file that
is located in the inc directory of the Microsoft Windows Driver Kit
(WDK).

Resolution

If you are not equipped to debug this problem, you should use some basic
troubleshooting techniques.

• Make sure you have enough disk space.

• If a driver is identified in the bug check message, disable the driver or
    check with the manufacturer for driver updates.

• Try changing video adapters.

• Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates.

• Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.
If you plan to debug this problem, you might find it difficult to
obtain a stack trace. Parameter 2 (the exception address) should identify the
driver or function that caused this problem.

If exception code 0x80000003 occurs, a hard-coded breakpoint or assertion was
hit, but the system was started with the /NODEBUG switch. This
problem should rarely occur. If it occurs repeatedly, make sure that a kernel
debugger is connected and the system is started with the /DEBUG
switch.

If exception code 0x80000002 occurs, the trap frame supplies additional
information.

If you do not know the specific cause of the exception, consider the
following issues:

• Hardware incompatibility. Make sure that any new hardware that is
    installed is listed in the Microsoft Windows Marketplace Tested Products
    List.

• Faulty device driver or system service. A faulty device driver or
    system service might be responsible for this error. Hardware issues, such as
    BIOS incompatibilities, memory conflicts, and IRQ conflicts can also generate
    this error.
If a driver is listed by name within the bug check message, disable or remove
that driver. Disable or remove any drivers or services that were recently added.
If the error occurs during the startup sequence and the system partition is
formatted with NTFS file system, you might be able to use Safe Mode to rename or
delete the faulty driver. If the driver is used as part of the system startup
process in Safe Mode, you must start the computer by using the Recovery Console
to access the file.

If the problem is associated with Win32k.sys, the source of the
error might be a third-party remote control program. If such software is
installed, you can remove the service by starting the computer by using the
Recovery Console and then deleting the offending system service file.

Check the System Log in Event Viewer for additional error
messages that might help identify the device or driver that is causing bug check
0x7E.

You can also disable memory caching of the BIOS might to try to resolve the
error. You should also run hardware diagnostics, especially the memory scanner,
that the system manufacturer supplies. For more information about these
procedures, see the owner's manual for your computer.

The error that generates this message can occur after the first restart
during Windows Setup, or after Setup is finished. A possible cause of the error
is lack of disk space for installation and system BIOS incompatibilities. For
problems during Windows installation that are associated with lack of disk
space, reduce the number of files on the target hard disk drive. Check for and
delete any temporary files that you do not have to have, Internet cache files,
application backup files, and .chk files that contain saved file
fragments from disk scans. You can also use another hard disk drive with more
free space for the installation. You can resolve BIOS problems by upgrading the
system BIOS version.

After all of that long wided stuff it looks like the BIOS might be at fault. Might want to see if there is an update or report it to the mother board manufacturer so they can investigate this and find a resolution.

Are you sure it is 0X0000007g?

Pretty sure, but you're right -- searches on that don't merit many results so I'll have to take another picture of it tomorrow (can't seem to find the logs in Event Viewer). Anyway the BIOS is updated to the latest version 7/19. I'll definitely get in contact with Biostar about this and see if they have any ideas. Until then I'll try resetting the CMOS.

Link to my motherboard's BIOS page: BIOSTAR :: TA890GXB HD :: BIOS

Whelp, looks like the freezes have found their way back. Guess that puts the CPU back on the list of suspects but I still think it's the motherboard. I think what I'll do is order a new motherboard and test it, if that doesn't work I'll refund it and RMA the CPU.

This could happen if AHCI Controller is turned on in BIOS. AHCI dowsnt work with XP SP2. Try to turn it off.... (if u have this option in BIOS)

By the look of BSOD it can be that your hdd have a problem .. try changing SATA DATA cable.

I felt like I would be jumping the gun buying another motherboard so I did some tests.

My RAM settings were set a bit lower than what was advertised so I set it exactly as it was described in the specs, still no dice.

I ran OCCT and crashed immediately though oddly enough I passed a 16-hour test on Prime95. Maybe Prime95 wasn't testing all the cores which means it could be the CPU but what that doesn't explain is how I haven't been crashing nearly as much with an updated BIOS. The crash rate has dropped about 80% give or take but now I have the start up problem as mentioned in the original post.

I'm not seeing any improvements here so I think it's about time to make a decision unless any of you guys have suggestions that would be great. :sweat:

This could happen if AHCI Controller is turned on in BIOS. AHCI dowsnt work with XP SP2. Try to turn it off.... (if u have this option in BIOS)

By the look of BSOD it can be that your hdd have a problem .. try changing SATA DATA cable.

I tried switching the SATA cable from my DVD drive to my HDD and have had no luck. I'm using Windows 7 so I doubt it's the AHCI controller, ironically my computer was the most stable when I was running XP SP2 though I still had problems with freezes.

XP expects the OS to be located on a port before the Optical Drive. If the Optical Drive is on SATA port 2 then your hard drive should be on SATA port 0 or 1, etc...

I'm running Win XP Pro x64 SP2 on a PC with AHCI enabled, I had problems similar to yours until I got the SATA ports connected properly.

It can't be 7G, error codes are hexadecimal numbers which consist of the digits 0 through 9 and A through F, G is not a valid digit. Most likely 78, 7B, or 7E from the picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom