Bad Power Supply?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ares6735

Baseband Member
Ok, so I am quite sure that my PSU is causing my problems that have plagued me for the last few weeks, but I want to confirm it with some experts and if so I would like a recomendation of the new one I should buy....

So here goes, I recently switched cases and installed a watercooling system after which my Windows was not performing right and I had frequent freezing, restarts, random BIOS recoverys and crashes even on or before the POST test. Well I think I burned out my Mobo with all the restarts because I am a moron and have never had PSU problems before. However, now I am thinking it was the PSU all along. Anyway, I bought a new Mobo and when I booted up it began to work, but Windows was messed up and I had to re-install. Durring this time I had many periods where the PSU would stop working, I would have random shutdowns and I had to switch it on and off to get it to work again. In addition I reinstalled Windows like 6 times and formatted my Hard drives, thinking they were the source the the Windows problem, but now I am thinking that the PSU was messing with the Hard drives and causing file corruption.

Finally, today I went back to work trying to fix the problems and Windows went into its problem where I couldnt boot up after installing programs after a fresh format and re-install of windows. So i went into the recovery console to check the disks as recommended, midway into checking my second one my video went wierd and I smelled a funny smell, so I immediately cut power and opened up my case. I pulled out the video card and it had a residue on the connector area. So i believed that my old video card had burned out. So, I put in my newer one that had been having driver issues, which I am hoping I can attribute to the PSU... anyways I started up and everything came up fine and I though "good, my memory, HDs and Mobo are all ok" and I went to try to check the disks again and I smelled the smell again, so I cut power and stuck my nose up to the PSU and I smelled it, then the vid card... and the smell was stronger near the PSU, so I think the PSU is going bad, its overloaded or it is damaged from the move somehow....

My system specs:
3.4 Ghz CPU
1 Gb PC3200 RAM
3 Hard drives: 30 GB IDE, 80 GB IDE, and a 250 GB SATA
DVD-ROM Drive
DVD Burner Drive
7800GS Nvidia Vid Card
4 Fans:2 80mm Case fans,1 secondary radiator fan, 1 PCI Slot fan
Artic Water Cooling System (Cpu and Vga block)

Suspect PSU: Thermaltake 420 Watt PSU
Spare PSU: 350 Watt PSU
New PSU: IDK? If you know good wattage and brand tell me!

Right now I am hoping to god that the PSU is just bad and I can simply buy a new one, power up and have everything run all right again. Otherwise I am at my whits end again and I may just pack up and give it to Geek Squad to fix... :( at my whits end!

PS: I also would like to know if my video card driver problem could be piled in with all the other stuff... See when I put in the 7800GS and ran the system (when it would boot succesfully) I could only use VGA drivers because Nvidia ones would crash my system and then not allow me to boot unless I booted to VGA drivers.

What should my course of action be now? (Lol my room smells really bad now, that worries me)

Replacing the PSU sounds like a good bet! :) alternatively you might have a short somewhere (check that out).

It really, really, really sounds like a bad PSU but you could go into your CMOS the check your voltages anyway. Bear in mind these probably won't be 100% accurate and won't give you any idea of stability.

get a 500W or 550W antec or something, there a quite a few good brands and it boils down to what you want and how much you want to spend really but do NOT cheap out.

If the PSU is cutting out on you, I wouldn't even use it anymore..at all. It only takes that one split second to fry the whole computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom