Would this be a fine computer for gaming? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login

Old 12-29-2013, 03:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Virgin Techie

Default Would this be a fine computer for gaming?

I'm looking to get a new gaming computer, though im on a limited budget. I would want to play AAA titles from the past few years, and hopefully this new gen. Now, im not necessarily picky on ultra graphics or whatever, but i would like games like Skyrim to run nicely. I hope to even be able to run new titles like AC4, BF4, and eventually DICE's Battlefront . Is this computer good enough for such tasks, and/or what can it do. I understand that its not top of the line in any way, and i would plan to replace the graphics card. Also, if not could you please show me what specs i would need for a good gaming PC that my budget of around 800 could handle.

Asus Desktop 8GB Memory 1TB Hard Drive M51ACUS006S - Best Buy
Thanks

Inceptor123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 07:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Build Guru

Default Re: Would this be a fine computer for gaming?

You're about to see the perfect example of why you don't buy prebuilt machines.

In one of the threads under yours I just assembled this list for relatively the same money with a MUCH better graphics card and power supply.

CPU:
Newegg.com - Intel Core i5-4430 Haswell 3.0GHz LGA 1150 84W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80646I54430

Motherboard:
Newegg.com - ASRock H87M Pro4 LGA 1150 Intel H87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

RAM:
Newegg.com - Team Vulcan 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory (Yellow Heat Spreader) Model TLYD38G1600HC9DC01

GPU:
Newegg.com - EVGA 02G-P4-2763-KR GeForce GTX 760 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support w/ EVGA ACX Cooler Video Card

PSU:
SeaSonic S12II 620 Bronze 620W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS 12V V2.91 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Newegg.com

HDD:
Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive - Newegg.com

Case:
Newegg.com - Cooler Master Elite 430 Red Edition - Mid Tower Computer Case with Windowed Side Panel and All-Black Interior

Optical:
Newegg.com - ASUS Black 18X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA DVD-ROM Drive Model DVD-E818AAT (DVD-E818AAT/BLK/B/GE) - CD / DVD Drives

$776

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inceptor123 View Post
I'm looking to get a new gaming computer, though im on a limited budget. I would want to play AAA titles from the past few years, and hopefully this new gen. Now, im not necessarily picky on ultra graphics or whatever, but i would like games like Skyrim to run nicely. I hope to even be able to run new titles like AC4, BF4, and eventually DICE's Battlefront . Is this computer good enough for such tasks, and/or what can it do. I understand that its not top of the line in any way, and i would plan to replace the graphics card. Also, if not could you please show me what specs i would need for a good gaming PC that my budget of around 800 could handle.

Asus Desktop 8GB Memory 1TB Hard Drive M51ACUS006S - Best Buy
Thanks
Yes it would be, even though some of the parts listed, are a tad bit old, you can still game well and have more room to upgrade.
After seing mguires list you could do that or this, I would keep away from the seagate and go western digital.

Choice is up to you if you want to build or not, either will do fine.
-RockMan- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:33 AM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Competing with these days high end graphics of games and ram required by them you really need to frequently keep upgrading your pcs
robert key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 11:06 AM   #5 (permalink)
Build Guru

Yea, prebuilt has a 650 vanilla card, vs the 760 that comes with the list. We can all see the clear winner here.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
Yea, prebuilt has a 650 vanilla card, vs the 760 that comes with the list. We can all see the clear winner here.
I need to ask you something, something you don't want to hear but we can't avoid it.
Why do you care about new gfx that comes out of the box that needs to play everything ?
You have a GTX 650, it will play most games at decent speed.
You don't find good cards in retail machines lately, let alone game on at fair fps speeds and what not.

I never seen a person like you who needs something to be so damn new or need sto play a certain way, shine right on the screem or sparkle right. >:|
I have a Galaxy GT640 oc 2gb past 950mhz, it plays everything without even choking. "45.00" bucks brand new from amazon canada
My old pny gt520 did fine as well, sure I have low fps, but it still plays so damn GOOD.
Did I mention it has good quality costed me 40.00 bucks in feburary 2012 ?

I didn't want to say this to you, but that needed to be said. :|
I'm sure someone else may have mentioned something similiar on here.
The guy is getting a nice core i5 3.6ghz, he could ditch the heatsink put his on there and new grease.
Asus still wont give a ****, not unless he breaks it and there goes his warrenty.

He can build it which is no prob, if he doesn't I would recommend he picked it up.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Build Guru

Dude, really? You are recommending stuff for other people, not for yourself. What you are essentially saying is it's ok for him to buy the prebuilt and get much less performance just because it works....that makes no sense. It's my job to recommend people the best bang for their buck and that's what I do. Always.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Dude, really? You are recommending stuff for other people, not for yourself. What you are essentially saying is it's ok for him to buy the prebuilt and get much less performance just because it works....that makes no sense. It's my job to recommend people the best bang for their buck and that's what I do. Always.

Meaning what ? there other people on here who do the samething as you do if not better.
I'll tell you what, you do things your way I'll do them my way, which is what I've been doing before I met you.
Its not all about brand new or gotta have this just because its a newer model of ati or nvidia.
There is plenty good of hardware that will suite peoples needs if they look around.
That is why I am here and to get some folks out of a jam when other members can't.

Thanks.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
Build Guru

Yea except he wants to play AAA titles and I would be guessing that if the OP actually pitched in he would want 2-3x more performance in the GPU for the same amount of money. I don't see why that's so hard to understand.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Yea except he wants to play AAA titles and I would be guessing that if the OP actually pitched in he would want 2-3x more performance in the GPU for the same amount of money. I don't see why that's so hard to understand.

Why are you still going at this ? o0
We both made our points so there is no need to debate this any further.
Like i said in the beginning of my post, I dont mind if he builds a pc or not.
If he seems interested in the computer, hell yeah I'm going to make sure he gets it.

No need to go on about this forever.

Tags
budget, buying, gaming computer