Why precautions at software company so casual? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 08:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie

Default Why precautions at software company so casual?

At my last job when the network guys configured or modified servers I saw no precautions taken towards static electricity. I never saw a static arm band anywhere. When upgrading memory I was told to put in the sticks myself and never was warned to be careful. When I was there nothing ever went wrong.

When installing op systems or programs I often had to change optical drives (because so many were worn out or bad) and I had to plug them in and out of servers, and no one told me to take precautions.

The hardware room had a tile floor, but the rest of the office had carpet.

Right now I am assembling a computer and am being careful, and except for a few slip ups I always wear the static armband and touch the psu. I was wondering if anyone else has seen such carelessness towards static electricity on the job, and why this was the case?

Old 06-16-2007, 09:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Default Re: Why precautions at software company so casual?

The bands aren't going prevent damage in some cases. I just make sure that I'm grounded (large metal) well when touching the components since its much more effective than the band.

Old 06-16-2007, 09:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Renowned Budgeting Master

Send a message via AIM to Sora

Maybe whatever surfaces they used did not conduct static electricity well at all? Not too sure but a professional company if it can be a problem I would expect to take precautions like that.
4x1GB of G.skill DDR2-800
2 8800GT in SLI
22" Samsung Syncmaster
1 250GB WD and 1 Seagate 7200.10 in RAID 0
Corsair 520HX 3DMark06 Score: 13900
Old 06-16-2007, 09:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
The Bulldog

at mt school we never took those precautions. personally i don't see the worth in those arm bands, we just ground our severs to the case. haven't had a prob yet.

ポップ・タルトが大好きです。
<<<<<<<Rep is always welcome
Ultimate Guitar exercises/ Songs for technique
Old 06-16-2007, 10:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Techie

But the casualness at this place was just crazy. I've seen servers on the floor, unplugged and ungrounded, with people taking cpus out and putting them in. I've seen memory sticks stacked on shelves unwrapped. At the time I just got this feeling that computer circuitry must be pretty tough stuff..

After reading this forum, I am happily paranoid about static when putting together my first computer. I've read so many horror stories about wrecking mobos, etc. But looking back at my past job makes me think if you don't have a shaggy carpet you don't have to worry at all (not that I'm willing to test this theory just yet...)
Old 06-16-2007, 10:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
The Bulldog

well i stack ram un-protected. because it is that tough. back in the day it wasn't so true. and you could fry a whole 80286 motherboard if you weren't careful. but times change. if its that big of a deal save the electro static wrappers. for example with all of the ICs i use for different projects. i push them down into Styrofoam. works great to protect them from charges and keeps the pins straight.

ポップ・タルトが大好きです。
<<<<<<<Rep is always welcome
Ultimate Guitar exercises/ Songs for technique
Closed Thread