Specific computing needs

Status
Not open for further replies.

aero_mansoor

Beta member
Hi all first time poting here so here goes...

I require a laptop with some specific compting needs, i am doing a PhD in Experimental Aerodynamics and i require a relatively powerful laptop enabling me to do some simultions (C++ and Matlab) further more running programms such as CAD and Catia (apologies if you are unaware of such programs).

Now with this in mind i decided on laptop simpley becuase this way my work will go with me and i can work on the go.

I also have powerful base computers so laptop for me for the next step i think.

Anyway I wanted to go for AMD FX 60 processor, with a 2Gb Ram and also the Nvidia Geforce 7800GTX with 256 DDR3 Graphics card.

Now my question is this, what do you think of such a system based around this core components. (i am thinking of getting them from Alienware, in UK its either rockdirect or alienware)

I woudl like to play games on them as well, but i know very little about this amd processor i know its dual core but what is its clock speed? (i am sorry i usually deal with silicon graphics machine here so am bit out of date on this)

More importantly the power consumption is going to be pretty hefty i think, i probbaly will need an extra battery, but will such a laptop be ok being run constantly (on mains) for say few hours a day atleast. My base computer as i said will be alineware the m7700 model.

If anyone knows of better laptops (i think with alienware you pay for name more) then please let me know.

I dont relaly want to go for small companies as i have been ripped off before in the past but a company here in uk.

Anyways all help will be greately appreciated

Mansoor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom