Should I get a Mac or Pc - Page 5 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 11:25 PM   #41 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Default Re: Should I get a Mac or Pc

I don't get the logo.... am i stupid?? lol

Old 05-20-2009, 01:26 AM   #42 (permalink)
I feel funny...

Send a message via AIM to thirdshiftdj

I'm going to have to go w/ a yes. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, maybe your drunk

Old 05-20-2009, 02:27 AM   #43 (permalink)
Master Techie

Pretty similar to puddles build but with some great parts. You could also go wit ha 22" to make it significantly cheaper, even though this is already way under budget. You could easily get an i7 is she is willing to spend that much, editing and photoshopping and things like that is where the i7 shines, not in gaming.

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
Newegg.com - G.SKILL PI Black 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies
Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100265HDMI Radeon HD 4830 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
Newegg.com - SAMSUNG 2433BW High Glossy Black 24" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 DC 20000:1(1000:1) - LCD Monitors
Newegg.com - LIAN LI PC-7B plus II Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
Newegg.com - LG Black 22X (CAV) DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X (CAV) DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe - CD / DVD Burners

I7 930 @ 4GHz : Noctua D-14
Gigabyte X58A-UD7 : Asus GTX 480
G.Skill Trident 1600MHz 6-8-7-18 : Samsung F3 1TB
OCZ Vertex 2 50GB : Silverstone RV02 Case
Silverstone Strider Plus 1Kw : Sony DRU-870s Optical
Samsung P2350 Monito
r

Old 05-20-2009, 02:34 AM   #44 (permalink)
Monster Techie

I used to be an animation major before I switched to sculpture and I used Maya a lot. I will say that even with freshman work, you will want as much processing power you can get. I think people underestimate the time rendering can take and how much of a difference a stronger processor can make. A single frame with some fairly basic textures, about 3 lights, and some high quality shadows on a human figure which has medium detail to it can take several minutes. Times that by 30 to get a whole second and then by another 60 to get a minute. That is a very long time. An i7 can cut that time significantly compared to an e8500 or even a q9400. I know this first hand because I used to have a QX6700 and then I upgraded to an i7 and I noticed a significant difference.

The only way production companies can crank out movies in a decent amount of time is because they have massive render farms doing all of their rendering for them. Even with those, their high res. movies can still take hours per frame.

I highly recommend an i7. It will last her through her 4+ yrs. of school and she won't have to worry about upgrades. Just because she is a freshman student doesn't mean that an i7 will be too much for her. She will appreciate her projects rendering faster when it comes crunch time. Someone even put together an i7 build for under your stated budget so why not get it?
Old 05-20-2009, 02:41 AM   #45 (permalink)
Master Techie

for 1500-1700 you can build a monster gaming irg, so you can easily make an i7 monster without a performance video card for under that price if she decides to go that route.

I7 930 @ 4GHz : Noctua D-14
Gigabyte X58A-UD7 : Asus GTX 480
G.Skill Trident 1600MHz 6-8-7-18 : Samsung F3 1TB
OCZ Vertex 2 50GB : Silverstone RV02 Case
Silverstone Strider Plus 1Kw : Sony DRU-870s Optical
Samsung P2350 Monito
r

Old 05-20-2009, 11:54 AM   #46 (permalink)
Master Techie

Send a message via MSN to synergy Send a message via Yahoo to synergy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thresh25 View Post
I don't get the logo.... am i stupid?? lol
DIY = Do It Yourself. It's a common term for PC enthusiasts as well as anything from tinkering on cars or doing stuff around the house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinscher View Post
I used to be an animation major before I switched to sculpture and I used Maya a lot. I will say that even with freshman work, you will want as much processing power you can get. I think people underestimate the time rendering can take and how much of a difference a stronger processor can make. A single frame with some fairly basic textures, about 3 lights, and some high quality shadows on a human figure which has medium detail to it can take several minutes. Times that by 30 to get a whole second and then by another 60 to get a minute. That is a very long time. An i7 can cut that time significantly compared to an e8500 or even a q9400. I know this first hand because I used to have a QX6700 and then I upgraded to an i7 and I noticed a significant difference.

The only way production companies can crank out movies in a decent amount of time is because they have massive render farms doing all of their rendering for them. Even with those, their high res. movies can still take hours per frame.

I highly recommend an i7. It will last her through her 4+ yrs. of school and she won't have to worry about upgrades. Just because she is a freshman student doesn't mean that an i7 will be too much for her. She will appreciate her projects rendering faster when it comes crunch time. Someone even put together an i7 build for under your stated budget so why not get it?
I agree. Just because Macs say they are all that for video and stuff doesn't mean it's true. A huge benefit will be gained by getting an i7 and some high performance memory. I'm not really familiar with animation rendering, but just regular video rendering can take a good amount of time and uses a good deal of CPU/RAM resources. I say save the headaches and spend the money on a high performance custom build.

HTPC: AMD FX-4100 3.6 GHz | Gigabyte GA-880GM mATX w/ ATI Radeon HD 4250 | 8 GB G.Skill RipjawX DDR3 1600
LG Blu-Ray/HD-DVD ROM + DVD RW | 60 GB OCZ Vertex SSD | WD Caviar 1 TB | Antec Veris Fusion Black HTPC Case
Logitech diNovo Edge KB | Win7 Pro 64-bit
3dMark06 23,159 | 3dMark Vantage 23,579 | TF2 Stats Page | BC2 Stats | BF3 Stats
MCSE (SharePoint 2013), MCITP & MCTS (SharePoint 2010), CIW
Old 05-20-2009, 01:57 PM   #47 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via MSN to Tenenbaum

Quote:

I agree.

Why would you buy a pre-built, or a Mac, when you can get so much more power for your budget?
The budget was announced, PJ gave ya a great build, and you still denied it.

To the guy who said "Future Proof does not exist", seems to be misunderstanding the term for future proof.
"The phrase future proofing describes the elusive process of trying to anticipate future developments, so that action can be taken to minimize possible negative consequences, and to seize opportunities".

The build posted by PJ for the i7 is the way to go, anyone who says otherwise isn't admitting to another underlying issue.
I honestly think the underlying issue is that you don't know the new products, and are afraid to build them, seeing as you mentioned it almost every post.
All I can say is, don't worry, its the same as building always, no difference, you'll enjoy it, especially with a new i7.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:29 PM   #48 (permalink)
Master Techie

Quote:

You said she wants to get into pixar? Well those take YEARS to make. I remember cars preveiws back in 2000. Little kids remember this stuff :P. That didnt even hit theatres until 2005ish? Go witht eh i7. What happens if she decides to move on to bigger things within the year. It would just be a safe bet to go better now instead of being screwed later.
Old 05-20-2009, 07:13 PM   #49 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Ahhh, I was unaware that diy= do it yourself. I have built two computers now... i guess im not an enthusiast. or just stupid
Old 05-20-2009, 07:31 PM   #50 (permalink)
Private Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thresh25 View Post
Ahhh, I was unaware that diy= do it yourself. I have built two computers now... i guess im not an enthusiast. or just stupid
DIY refers to just more than computer building. Its home repair, kits for building various things, etc etc.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
Closed Thread