SATA II drive backwards compatible with SATA mobo? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 12-25-2005, 11:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default SATA II drive backwards compatible with SATA mobo?

if i buy a motherboard with SATA support, but have a hard drive that is set up for SATA II, will these components be compatible?

also, is SATA II really that much of a better performer than SATA?

finally, if the mobo and HDD aren't compatible, would it be better to upgrade the MOBO to one which supports SATA II, or would i be better off downgrading the HDD to SATA?

thanks..

Old 12-26-2005, 03:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie

yes sata2 is backward compatible with sata1 motherboards ive done a few sata2's with sata1 boards and they are fine. There isnt a great deal of performance increase from sata1 but it is noticeable on benchmarks, but at this stage i dont think it would really matter what you get it will still be fast. Downgrade the hdd to sata1 if you can save money from it.

Aries A+ Hardware and Software Certified
Old 12-26-2005, 04:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
Memberbot

I second that. At this point in time, we are really only limited in hard drive performance by the actual mechanical part of the hard drive. Even 10k rpm HDs have a hard time filling the 150MBps bandwidth that a SATA 1 interface supplies.

Intel E6750...........PSN: ELBATROP
XFX nForce 650i Ultra
Patriot PC2-6400 8GB (4x2GB)
eVGA 9800GT
36GB WD Raptor
120GB SG
1TB SG
Logitech X-530
Samsung SyncMaster 931c
Samsung SyncMaster 750s
Windows 7 Home Premium 64
Old 12-26-2005, 09:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

SATA II is backwards compatable. I just bought two Hitachi 250gb drives that are SATAII and NCQ, but my mobo does not support that. I was just trying to future proof myself since my old PATA drives crashed. As far as performance I have a slight gain, but I think thats due to the better seek times on my new drives. One of these years HD technology will catch up to bandwith.
Old 12-26-2005, 11:54 AM   #5 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Yes it is but you should get a SATA1 to save money because you are not using SATA2 speeds because your mobo is holding you down. You could also spend more on a mobo...
Vista Discussion | 64 Bit Discussion |Microsoft Homepage | Yo Linux | Paul Thurrott | Fire Fox | Thunder Bird | Image Shack | Photo Bucket | Put File | Anti-Spyware | MS Anti-Spyware | Trillian | Anti-Virus | On Line Virus Scan
Old 12-26-2005, 01:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
True Techie

Most of the newer Mobo's support SATAII so you could get an average, new mobo for $120 or less. As far as the drives I did a search on Newegg for internal 200gb OEM drives and the prices range from $85 to $106 with all the differnt types mixed in. There were ATA100's that were more expensive than SATA150s and SATA150s more expensive than SATAIIs. My 250GB SATAIIs were $108.00 while the same drive using ATA100 was $109.51. Whether it's SATA150 or SATAII, neither use the full amount of bandwith available. So just get what you can afford and what has the features you want or will want.
Old 12-26-2005, 01:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via AIM to shdwsclan

You could always raid0 2 sata drives together to increase data tranfere speed.

Higher RPM drives will only give you lower seek times.....
Old 12-26-2005, 03:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via AIM to Graham

I am getting two of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822148065

For some reason the 250 GB is less than the 200 GB and at fifty cents a gigabyte you can't go wrong with seagate. In raid configuration these drive will install and load up significantly better than PATA.

The SATA II version is about $30 or $40 more. I forget but don't waste money on a hard drive claiming 3 GB/s actually being possible in current PCs.
- Cooler Master HAF 932 Adv. Chassis
- SSD Intel 40 gig
- HDD: 2x SATA III 300 GBs
- LG Blu-Ray 8X
- Gigabyte GTX 670 WF @ 1098 Mhz
- Corsair Dominator 6 GB (2 x 2 GB Trip mode)
Old 12-26-2005, 03:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

I always thought there was a SATA3 able to get 5GB/S speeds is that true?
Vista Discussion | 64 Bit Discussion |Microsoft Homepage | Yo Linux | Paul Thurrott | Fire Fox | Thunder Bird | Image Shack | Photo Bucket | Put File | Anti-Spyware | MS Anti-Spyware | Trillian | Anti-Virus | On Line Virus Scan
Old 12-26-2005, 03:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by Graham
I am getting two of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822148065

For some reason the 250 GB is less than the 200 GB and at fifty cents a gigabyte you can't go wrong with seagate. In raid configuration these drive will install and load up significantly better than PATA.

The SATA II version is about $30 or $40 more. I forget but don't waste money on a hard drive claiming 3 GB/s actually being possible in current PCs.
I think I know why it's clear isn't it?

Serial ATA150 is not what you should be aiming for you want SATA2/3GB/s. It's possible and it exists not sure on actual performance but much faster than SATA1 which was 300MB/S if I remember. Also look at the cache it's 8MB if you search hard enough you can probably find a 16MB cache.

Closed Thread