Is Sata 150 7200rpm faster then IDE 7200rpm?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea, loading times won't benefit too much either. Probably 50% at most. The real benefit from SATA comes from its new design. It does away with Master/Slave and that **** ribbon cable.

SATAII is better, loading times benefit.

But seriously, I'd get a hard drive with 16MB cache, now that'll REALLY help load times.

The difference between IDE and SATAI/II will not be very noticable on a 7200RPM drive at all

Despite the fact that SATA has a bandwidth of 150/300MB/sec that simply refers to the rate data is capable of travelling between the I/O...however the rate of data transfer is determined by the disk seek time and as the original poster had the idea, all 7200RPM drives are about the same meaning they're pulling the data off the disk at the same rate which would probably be about 70MB/sec which of course means that ATA bandwidth isn't even fully utilized let alone SATA I or II

The only significant difference between the two would be the burst speed or the data that's getting pulled off the buffer which would equate to the speed of the bus...therefore the burst speed of ATA would be limited to 133MB/sec whereas SATA would benefit from the 150MB/sec...it should be noted that burst speed has little impact on overall performance

The only other difference might be in initial bootup and drive detection considering there is no longer a master/slave dependency

Hard drive bandwidth is determined by the total RPM...not the interface itself

exactly.
the extra bandwith will not make much difference unless the speed which it can read and write to the actual disk is increased.

Western Digital's Raptor is a faster drive, because it spins at 10,000RPM, and has a seek time of roughly 5.5ms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom