To Render - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login

Old 11-20-2012, 01:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Lightbulb To Render

Sup, guys

I was just wondering if any of you render video footage (as in, with Vegas Pro or other such things) and, if you do, if use a specific machine for it. I use my general PC, which lags out the games I play. I could probably just upgrade my machine, but I find it a problem to tab out, and it becomes a hassle.

Also, what, in your opinion, would you render on if you didn't have a render specific machine (e.g, would you use a netbook, would it be worth it).

Sooooo..... yeah.

Eyetooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Build Guru

Default Re: To Render

I do anything like that on my main PC, and because of the power I let friends use my PC for tasks like this too.

I would not do anything like this on a netbook or similar.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default To Render..... PART 2 :D

Okay, haha, this is kinda a follow-up to my last topic. I have been helpfully informed that rendering a is a process requiring alot of power. I am looking at getting a portable PC, like a laptop, and I was wondering what would be best for the rendering actions I wish to perform.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Build Guru

Default Re: To Render..... PART 2 :D

This post should have been put in your first thread.

Need a budget, programs used, and what kind of projects you will be doing to best assist you.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

Triforcer

Threads merged.

Baez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Budget wise: That is something yet to be properly defined. I don't really want to spend over 1000. I guess as cheap as possible for something that will do the job in hand well.

As for programs, primarily Vegas Pro 12, with a spattering of editing in Adobe AfterEffects. As I said before, I use Vegas Pro, so I am not doing anything too intense. I would be rendering 10-15 minute videos at 720p. Thanks
Old 11-20-2012, 03:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Build Guru

Are you going to need peripherals + Windows or just the PC itself?

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Just the PC.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
Build Guru

I went ahead and left the GPU out of this build as this CPU has an IGP capable of all tasks besides gaming. Gaming wasn't listed, so I built this setup accordingly. I also went with mATX. If you want smaller for relatively the same price we could go mITX which would minimize case footprint.

CPU:
Newegg.com - Intel Core i5-3330 Ivy Bridge 3.0GHz (3.2GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2500 BX80637i53330

Motherboard:
Newegg.com - ASRock H77 Pro4-M LGA 1155 Intel H77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

RAM:
Newegg.com - CORSAIR 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 Desktop Memory Model CMV16GX3M2A1600C11

PSU:
Newegg.com - Antec HCG M Series HCG-620M 620W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

SSD+HDD:
Newegg.com - SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC128B/WW 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Case:
Newegg.com - Fractal Design Define Mini Black Micro ATX Silent PC Computer Case w/ USB 3.0 support and 2 x 120mm Fractal Design Silent Fans

$712

I left some wiggle room for improvement but maintained under your budget to do what you want with ease. Like I said, for almost the same cost we can go much smaller without sacrificing performance, or we can go i7 3770k for a much faster experience which will add 100 bucks to the price tag. It's up to you. I put a 1TB in there as I figured you would be storing some videos. You can up that to 2TB for not much more money as well.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
Newb Techie

That, sir, is exactly what I have been looking for Thank you so much, that's perfect. It doesn't need to be a far faster experience, to be honest. And I have a change of heart, an upgrade is always there.
Again, much thanks