RAID0 w/ existing partitions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragonpyro

Beta member
I'm going to set up a RAID0 array and I need some info.

Overview:
I have a single SATA 3.0gb/s 500Gb drive partitioned into a 100gb and a 400gb drive. OS and apps on the smaller partition while the other has games and media.

Problem:
I want to add three more drives: single 500Gb and two 1Tb drives. I want set up a RAID0 array with the two 500Gb drives but the first one is partitioned and I don't want to set up the array with a drive that is partitioned. I feel that will decrease performance with the RAID.

Is there a way I can delete the larger partition and add it to my smaller one to rebuild the drive to its full capacity while keeping my OS in tact?

Are you running XP or Vista?
With XP download Acronis Disk Director Suite 10. If your parition setup makes it possible to merge then that'll do it.
With Vista32 you have 2 main options. Acronis Disk Director Suite 10, or open your start menu, right click on 'Computer' and hit 'manage'. It has its own built in drive manager.

For vista x64, acronis suite has unsigned drivers and wont work, so download Acronis Disc Director 'Server' 10. Or right click on 'Computer' and use the built in function.

When you open it up it's pretty simple and straight forward. There's options to merge partitions, delete partitions, make partitiones etc.. You'd be lookin' at merge.

Thank you very much!

I'm using Vista 64-bit.

Will this try to 'stitch' the partitions back together or will the drive be like it was before i partitioned it?

Also, will a ES.2 RAID with 7200.11 and which is better?

As far as I know the drives have to be identical in order to set up raid. You can set it up using different size, but it will match itself to the lower size, effectively cutting off the space from the larger drive.

And it will stitch them back together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom