radeon 5970

Status
Not open for further replies.

keith bob

Baseband Member
--ok -- im new and planning first build

i was thinking i7-930 slightly overclock and a radeon 5970

what would be a good motherboard to get? what should i look for in a motherboard?

ps-- does anyone know where to find a 5970--they seem to be sold out everywhere i check

finding a 5970 right now is nigh impossible. The big gfx companies have suffered from low yields on their latest gfx card releases, especially on more intensive units like the 5970.

hey-- that board does look pretty cool--

so it is basicly made for overclocking?

looks like it has everything i could need---

thanks for the advice

Hey enjoy your build, that going to be one kick *** rig!

I second with that motherboard, ASUS makes very gơod motherboard.

i agree, asus makes good products, typically. i hate their website though.

on another note, i think that proc has 8 logical cores, what are you doing where you need to overclock?

i am new and have never overclocked---

8 logical cores? i am lost---please explain

or if anyone could give me a quick overview of overclocking would be great

-- i thought you just used the software and upped it a little at a time and watched the temp so you dont overheat

i should probably check out the overclocking forums

Give us your full budget, what you intend to do with your computer (apparently game.. lol), and what you need exactly (monitor, OS, etc..), and we can help you come up with an overall build... just to make sure you're not overspending in one area and skimping out on an important area.

Here's a link that'll guide you to OCing your i7 (made by slaymate).
http://www.techist.com/forums/f10/i7-overclocking-guide-224693/

And you can start a thread in the OC forums if you get stuck and you'll find a lot of helpful people there.

You'll want one of these for overclocking
Newegg.com - Prolimatech Megahalems Rev.B CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks
and a fan to go with it.
Newegg.com - Antec 761345-75120-9 120mm Case Fan - Case Fans

The 5870 is a pretty powerful card and you can always buy a 2nd one later if you need the extra power.
Newegg.com - HIS H587F1GDG Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card w/ATI Eyefinity - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Asus makes very good mobo's. I prefer EVGA myself, this is a fabulous deal counting the $30 rebate.
Newegg.com - EVGA E758-A1 3-Way SLI (x16/x16/x8) LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

And get a good Power Supply, this one has plenty of power if you decide to buy a 2nd 5870 later :D
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

why not go AMD?

Why would you want to unless you just can't afford Intel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom