Power Consumption $$$

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drewser

In Runtime
Since I got my new system about 2 or 3 months ago, I seemed to have been going over my electric bill about $15. In the previous year and a half that I have lived in this particular house, our electric bills were consistently the same, and we haven't changed any sort of activities or such that would effect our consumption.

I know $15 isn't something to be worried about really, but I am curious. Could my system require $15+/month to run. Specs are in my sig, and FYI whenever I am not around for more than an hour, I put the computer to "sleep" (low power mode).

Anyone have some input?

Can't add any input but I'd like to know approx what it takes to run a pc for a month without shutting it off too. I cant remember the last time i shut my pc off for more than 5min. Parents like to whine about the electric bill. next time they bring it up id like to just throw the money at em heh.

If I had to guess I'd say around 10$? With monitor powersaver after 30 min and not folding. i.e. runnign idle while asleep and working. just ballpark though XD

A guess under stress would be cool cause I'll start folding when new system gets up.

i still dont quite get what folding is, alltho you need an ati card correct? because im going to be getting crossfire 3870's and im interestd to see what this is, and maybe try it out.

ati card? thats out of the question ; ; I thought you could use your CPU as well, and having an ati card was just a bonus?

folding itself is basically running simulations of the folding and misfolding of proteins. So by running these simulations anyone who folds is doing their part in helping research thats trying to understand/cure diseases. Thats what I got out of it anyhow.

I guess it uses the amount of CPU power that is unused. i.e. your playin a game thats using 40%, the folding would use the remaning 60% to run itself, adjusting to as not to disrupt whatever it is you may be doing. It would of course keep your CPU at 100% so thats why I was wondering out power consumption in relation to full load usage.
Not that it matter I just want to be able to hold my own in an argument with my parents. i havent been able to find much on google about it.

Since I got my new system about 2 or 3 months ago, I seemed to have been going over my electric bill about $15. In the previous year and a half that I have lived in this particular house, our electric bills were consistently the same, and we haven't changed any sort of activities or such that would effect our consumption.

I know $15 isn't something to be worried about really, but I am curious. Could my system require $15+/month to run. Specs are in my sig, and FYI whenever I am not around for more than an hour, I put the computer to "sleep" (low power mode).

Anyone have some input?
Why not just buy a Power source with like 85% efficiency?
might just be that your computer is using more power

Ya my power bills tend to be about 35-38 a month. And my computer is at least as power hungry as yours. But then again, i only leave it on when im actually using it. The other 17 hours (work and sleep) its turned off.

Another thing to check is the amount you are being charged. Power companies like to change the rates and not tell you.

35-38 bucks a month!

My rent includes $100 in electricity, and we pay anything over that. The last two months since getting my computer, we have gone over by about $15...

Hawaii Electric Company sucks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom