Possibly Upgrading. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2010, 09:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 75
Default Possibly Upgrading.

About 2 and a half years ago I built my first gaming computer. Now, since I have some money lying around, I'm thinking about upgrading.

The parts I currently have that I plan on upgrading are:
CPU - Intel Q6600
Motherboard - Gigabyte P35-DS3R
RAM - 4gb Patriot Extreme
PSU - Corsair 520HX (I think?)

The parts I'm thinking of getting are:
CPU - Intel i7 920
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
RAM - Corsair CORSAIR XMS3 6GB DDR3 1600
PSU - Not really sure.

First, would I need to upgrade the PSU? I do plan on overclocking and have an HD5850 and 2 hard drive. I'm assuming it would be a good idea to upgrade it.

Also, I'm open to any suggestions/alternatives for better performing parts at a similar or lower price.

Thanks for your time.

Jophess is offline  
Old 07-09-2010, 02:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie
Alive.777's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: QLD, Australia
Posts: 201
Default Re: Possibly Upgrading.

Yes, upgrade you PSU, i suggest a Corsair HX750w, maybe even a 650w PSU - Newegg.com - CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-750HX 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply = $139
The rest of the upgrades will be great. nothing i can see that needs changing, unless your not on a budget

Alive.777 is offline  
Old 07-12-2010, 11:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 75
Default Re: Possibly Upgrading.

Thanks for the reply. I'll probably go with the 750HX in case I decide to upgrade more in the future.
For RAM, would OCZ Gold be a good choice? It's currently available in a combo to shave off a few bucks.

I also have a question about a heatsink. I currently have a TRUE 120 for my Q6600 (socket 775). Is there something I could buy to use it with the i7 920, or would I need a new heatsink all together?

Thanks again for the help.
Jophess is offline  
Old 07-14-2010, 02:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 75
Default Re: Possibly Upgrading.

So, I've been searching around for the best prices and I came across ewiz.com/superbiiz.com. Has anybody ever ordered anything from them?

They seem to have some very good deals, such as an OEM i7 920 w/ stock fan for $235.
Jophess is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Possibly upgrading my rig. Trepkos New Systems | Building and Buying 3 01-03-2010 04:25 PM
Possibly Upgrading Computer vladimars New Systems | Building and Buying 8 08-03-2009 07:07 PM
Need help cooling a XPS 420 (And possibly upgrading power supply) Foote Overclocking and Modding 19 01-12-2009 08:47 AM
Upgrading a HP Pavilion A1440N - Graphics Card/PSU. Spikey00 System Upgrades 2 12-24-2008 06:45 PM
Possibly upgrading my computer Jason_B New Systems | Building and Buying 6 11-20-2008 12:50 AM

Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:51 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.