Ok need some help, might need some explaining not as experienced as some - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 03:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Ok need some help, might need some explaining not as experienced as some

Ok My computer right now is the gateway gt5032. i just recently got the BFG NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX OC2 512MB PCIe 2.0 (for $150 )
and it wont fit in my computer case. so i'm just going to completly upgrade the whole computer.
this case, unless you recommed a better one that will be more efficent with space and cooling
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Some have told me to get a amd phenomx4 or an intel quad core. I want to be able to run the processor at at least 3.0 speed overclocked(i guess you would say). But which one should i get i want a definite answer on which one is better for gaming (WoW, Unreal Tournament 3, COD4 and CS are the games i play)

Also which motherboard would be best for either intel or amd whatever one is better.

I want 4g of ram

i currently have 600W power supply and was wondering if it would be enough for all of this

If youve gotten here in this thread thank you for reading and im sorry to trouble the forums, but im in need of dire help and i dont know anyone that can help me besides the collective knowledge of all geeks nerds and tomcats under one interweb :freak:

Old 08-18-2008, 09:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
Techalicious

Send a message via MSN to Redmo0n
Default Re: Ok need some help, might need some explaining not as experienced as some

Probably go with Intel

You would have to overclock to reach 3.0ghz, which is easy with any quad core chip

q6600 would be fine for the games you play

Get a biostar motherboard (can't remember the one and capped so i can't link it)

4 gig is fine and usually recommend now

The power supply should be fine (based on not knowing the model and 12v rail on it, which is the correct way to messure a power supply, i can't say for sure) but it should be fine anyway, if you experience problems you could always buy a new one that is more solid (12v rail, not watts!)

No trouble, it's what we're here for and love doing :P

Old 08-18-2008, 10:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Default Re: Ok need some help, might need some explaining not as experienced as some

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asianyeti View Post
Ok My computer right now is the gateway gt5032. i just recently got the BFG NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX OC2 512MB PCIe 2.0 (for $150 )
and it wont fit in my computer case. so i'm just going to completly upgrade the whole computer.
this case, unless you recommed a better one that will be more efficent with space and cooling
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Some have told me to get a amd phenomx4 or an intel quad core. I want to be able to run the processor at at least 3.0 speed overclocked(i guess you would say). But which one should i get i want a definite answer on which one is better for gaming (WoW, Unreal Tournament 3, COD4 and CS are the games i play)

Also which motherboard would be best for either intel or amd whatever one is better.

I want 4g of ram

i currently have 600W power supply and was wondering if it would be enough for all of this

If youve gotten here in this thread thank you for reading and im sorry to trouble the forums, but im in need of dire help and i dont know anyone that can help me besides the collective knowledge of all geeks nerds and tomcats under one interweb :freak:
You'd be better of going Intel...q6600 is faster clock per clock. Watts don't matter amps do, so give specs on the PSU

Now don't expect every CPU to hit 3.0ghz, each is different, so if you don't get there, please don't whine and/or complain about. (I get that a lot and it starts to annoy)

Q6600's have lately getting higher and higher VID's and are overclocking quite poorly. (around a Phenom level I'd even say)

Also consider the Antec 300 which is a nice PSU
I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.

.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
Old 08-18-2008, 01:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Ok for power supply i have an
Ultra X Finity 600W ATX Power supply
And i think its 12V rail. I hope that helps

This was the mobo i was looking at and was wondering your guys opinion on it

EVGA 132-CK-NF78-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard

good bad?
Old 08-18-2008, 01:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via AIM to Ventriac

Newegg.com - Open Box: ASUS RAMPAGE FORMULA LGA 775 Intel X48 ATX Intel Motherboard

Open Box, Asus Rampage, **** of a deal

The nvidia looks a lot more ****** though.

CPU E8500MB Asus P5Q Pro
RamOCZ Reaper ddr2800 GPUVisiontek 4870
PSU Toughpower 700 HDD WD 640 GB
Old 08-18-2008, 04:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Monster Techie

go with intel and nvidia for the best
heehee...seriously and to p-o some people, lol

as for a case, get this:
Newegg.com - NZXT TEMPEST Crafted Series CS-NT-TEM-B Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

I would ignore the negative comments as they would not be indicative of people knowing what they are doing.

as for ram, do you know why you want 4gb of ram...or you just think that's something you need? If you know...then by all means get for 4...if not, eh

Closed Thread