Are OEM products a big problem for a first time builder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blank_Man

Baseband Member
So I finally ordered all my parts for my new computer!!! There is a good amount of buyers remorse right now, but once I get it up and running I think I'll be very pleased that I went ahead and did it. I have a question though, I purchased 3 OEM internal Hard drives (2 Sata and 1 IDE) and 1 OEM DVD Writer Drive. Is this a huge problem and will make it difficult to build my computer now? I did not know they were OEM when I purchased them online and was very disppointed when I found out today when I got them and saw what had happened. I am going to try to get a refund so I can find retail products because the OEM ones don't come with any cables, manuals, disks, or mounting brackets. I've never put a computer together so I don't know what the importance is of having reatil products rather than OEM, but it seems like it'd be easier with retail products (unless you already have everything else, which I don't). Please let me know what you guys think and I'd really appreciate it.

Well if you had bought 1 hardrive and 1 cd oem it wouldnt be too bad as most motherboards come with the cables to support at least 1 of each some supporting more. You could have always just bought a few extra cables for like 2 bucks each and it woul;d come out cheaper than original

my abit mobo came with 4 sata and 2 ide.
my dvd burner, hard drive, and windows xp are all oem.
i was worried, too...like "there's no BOX"...woe is me.
they work fine. and if you don't have the cables, you can find them at pretty much any (respectable) shop.

I used all OEM in my build , that way was a whole lot cheaper....plus I used about 3 items that had rebates{case, ram,power supply}

In case you have not noticed....I'm a cheap skate.....lol

Alright, thank you everyone for your replys. I feel a little better now about having OEM hard drives and dvd writer. Yet, is there anything that I'm going to need for them other than cables. Is there anything I should get to mount them in the case or any drivers or such? I believe the case I got comes with mounting brackets, but I'm not sure if there's anything else I would need to get in order to install them into the case.

this is the case I got:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811129017

anyway, again, thank you very much for all your responses, it really helps me ease my mind knowing that I haven't just made things much harder on myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom