NAS Build - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Old 11-23-2014, 07:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default NAS Build

Hey guys. My second post besides my intro. I am a long time IT guy though. I just wanted a 2nd opinion on something before I decided if it is worth my time or not.

I am currently running a 1TB Raid 1 Mirror on a NetGear readyNAS dual drive NAS. It is sata 300 1Gig network port. It is adequate for streming HD media on my network to about 3 systems without any problems. The backbone of my network is a Gigabit Cisco 3550 switch.

So I have a stack of hard drives from working on this stuff for so long. Recently I got a few systems that were being retired. They were pretty much unused the entire time. They just sat there turned off collecting dust. Every one has a 4port Sata 150 card in it. 2 internal, then two ESata ports. They are also all dual core systems around 2.0GHz with 4GB of memory.

So I am contemplating running these with a RAID5 FreeNAS build. The cards are slower, but the RAID would be handled by the processors on the card instead of the primary CPU. That would give me a performance gain right there VS sata 300 Drives in SATA 300 ports on the MOBO using the CPU. I would also be installing an Intel gig netwrok card. Not sure with 3-4 drives if it would be able to handle the same loads without any lag issues. I am guessing yes since my current NAS I have deployed as a mirror.

The FreeNAS builds I like because they have tons of built in features, and I will have it sitting behind an SA520W running IPS so I am not too worried about security with this inside my LAN.

I just wanted to bounce this off a couple people before starting the process. I was also not sure if I could use the SATA raid processors to handle the actual RAID work, and still plug my drives into the MOBO SATA 300 Ports. I know I can edit the config in FreeNAS, but I am far from a programmer, so someone would have to tell me how to do that if it is an option. I can build the FreeNAS box in no time, it is just the data migration that would take forever. Especially since I was planning on using the 2 drives in my current NAS as well, which means I have to offload that data first adding more hours.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.
OverkillYJ is offline   Reply With Quote