My proposed 2017 super budget build

MadmanRB

In Runtime
A new year is coming and I am getting my final tax return from my old job and I am going to use some of that money to build a new computer.
I may even film my build and pop it on youtube but that is another story as I am thinking of just trying to get a gaming channel running on youtube to make ends meat because the job market is so horrible.
Now money is not going to run out for me yet, and i have plans in place for when the time comes but in any case I am going to build another computer this year.
So the first part I am going to get is the graphics card, I am really considering this:

EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 SC GAMING, ACX 2.0 (Single Fan), 03G-P4-6162-KR, 3GB GDDR5, DX12 OSD Support (PXOC)-Newegg.com

It is first going into my current build then when I can get the rest of my build together it will go into that machine.
Neweggs prices can be bad though so I have a similar card lined up just in case.

Secondly is the processor.
Now Zen is on the horizon and so far I hear the lowest cost is $150-160 which I can deal with.
Because I need a placeholder for my cost calculations here is the nearest intel for that price point:

Intel Core i3-6300 Skylake Dual-Core 3.8 GHz LGA 1151 65W BX80662I36300 Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 530 - Newegg.com

And the closest intel motherboard that I am willing to afford:
GIGABYTE GA-H170M-DS3H (rev. 1.0) LGA 1151 Intel H170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com

I really have to cheap out here so no overclocking malarky and am unsure if AMD will be offering good overclocking motherboards for low pricing.
These placeholders should do if AMD parts are going to be similarly priced

I already have a PSU that I can transfer over but just in case I can factor this into my budget:

EVGA 500 B1 100-B1-0500-KR 80+ BRONZE 500W Includes FREE Power On Self Tester Power Supply-Newegg.com

This PSU is more for my current build which is going to lose the PSU to the new build.
Its tier 3 and should do the job for my current build and make it last for the person i am giving it to.
I already have a seasonic G series 650W PSU right now that i got on sale and that is going into my new build.
SeaSonic SSR-650RM 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply-Newegg.com

I am still going to have decent RAM

CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200) Memory Kit Model CMK8GX4M2A2400C14 - Newegg.com
And most DDR4 RAM runs about the same price, I still want heat spreaders though because I dont want my ram to stutter due to heat.
I actually had a set of ram die that way, very sad.

Finally the case...

I have a tough decision to make here as I kind of want small form factor here so I am thinking of going with this:

DIYPC Cuboid-R Black / Red USB 3.0 Gaming Micro-ATX Mid Tower Computer Case w/ 1 x 140mm LED Red Fan x Front, 1 x 120mm LED Red Fan x Rear-Newegg.com

My current desktop is huge and takes up a lot of room next to my monitor, its so big I cannot fit it onto the bottom of my desk as its wide and it teeters off the side.
Now yes there are better cases but I kind of want to go the cube PC route next round without breaking the bank.
And I still use optical media and buying a external optical media player is out of the question just so I can have a better case like the corsair air 240.
There is the node 804 which has slim drive support but its way out of my price range at $110
Plus a slim drive is still expensive, no thanks.

There is also this case:

APEVIA X-QPACK3-RD Red SECC Micro ATX Cube Case Computer Case - Newegg.com

or this:
APEVIA X-QBER-RD Red SECC Micro ATX / ITX Cube Case Computer Case - Newegg.com

Seems good enough and probably better than the cuboid due to a better quality fan.
I only have a single SSD so no worries about losing the ability to use multiple SSD's.

At most this case will do okay too ANTEC P50 P50 Pwrful Permance mATX Case - Newegg.com

The dual chamber similar to the corsair air 250 but with optical drive support

So its not like my options are too limited, but i still got to watch myself.

All i know is that I am looking forward to another build, but your input is appreciated :D

Perhaps, but since RAM with heat spreaders are about the same price (depending) I think I will be taking some cosmetics.
Its not going to hurt me if there is only a small difference in price
I am looking for dual channel kits and this one:
Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2133 (PC4 17000) Desktop Memory Model CT2K4G4DFS8213 - Newegg.com
Is only $8 cheaper than the corsairs
Small cost cutting is not the goal of the build, I am more concerned about how much my CPU and Motherboard is going to coast me at this point as I already know what I will be spending for the GPU.

Even the case I can see what I can do with as long as it sticks to under $80.
That does leave the door open to better cases like the air 240 that will cost me $74.99 and it does come with 3 fans.
But I could easily go for this case too:
Thermaltake Core V21 Black Extreme Micro ATX Cube Chassis CA-1D5-00S1WN-00-Newegg.com

Just not from newegg as amazon has that one for cheaper (no shipping fees):

https://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-Black-Extreme-Chassis-CA-1D5-00S1WN-00/dp/B00PDDMN6S

Actually I am reaslly considering that one as it offers the same rotational space saving features of the air 240 for less money on amazon

Components like memory and motherboards are going to run the same but i hate tacked on shipping fees on newegg (this is why the APEVIA X-QPACK3 is on the table as a case option as it has free shipping on both newegg and amazon)
Ram will ship for free for sure though :D

Last edited:
Well you can go i3 6100 and an H110 board for cheaper. That'll take off about 80 bucks right there. That'll give you enough cash to go with a 6GB 1060 and an eVGA 600b instead. Can't really say super budget build and small cost cutting is not the goal in the same thread.

Zen....mixed feelings. The good chip is looking like it'll be around the 500 dollar mark while on the budget for gaming I feel the i3s will still destroy their 4 core models. Just a hunch. Not to mention, Kaby is coming next month so the Skylake chips might go up in price. Best to piece the builds together when you have your cash in hand and ready to purchase rather than months in advance.

You'll also be better off getting your CPU, motherboard, RAM, case, and PSU off Amazon if you have Prime.

Well there is this motherboard i can go with:

MSI H110M Gaming LGA 1151 Intel H110 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com

or this one:

GIGABYTE GA-H110M-S2H (rev. 1.0) LGA 1151 Intel H110 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Motherboards - Intel - Newegg.com

So yes that would do

I was looking at USB ports really as I do like having multiple ports (especially with the new USB type C in the future where I will need one of my ports free for an adapter)

As for the i3... I would very much like to have a decent processor on par with my i5 and dont want to lose performance on using a lower end CPU.
Its nice to see I can cheap out on the motherboard though save me at least $30

As for that PSU... I will think on it some more, again that is more for this build for when I had it down.
I mean I could buy this for it:

EVGA 650 BQ 110-BQ-0650-V1 80+ BRONZE 650W Semi Modular Includes FREE Power On Self Tester Power Supply-Newegg.com

It should do if the new owner wants a basic GPU like the RX 460 like I will be going for.

Ok, you really need to sort out what you want here as you're not being clear at all.

First you talk about wanting USB C on the board like this is going to be your machine, which was the gist I was getting from your first post.

You then talk about wanting an i3 on par with the performance you get from your i5? If you have an i5 already what's the point of this build and why link an i3 to begin with in your original post?

You say should do if the new owner wants it. So who's this machine going to? Is the Seasonic sticking with you or were you trading off for the 500b? That 600BQ is 15 bucks more than the 600b, but both are worse than the Seasonic you've already supposedly bought.

It goes along with the contradictory of super budget build then you saying you're not small cost cutting. Like, what exactly are you doing here and what are you wanting to do? And what ever happened to the GPU you were supposedly buying sometime a few months ago for your bday?

I'm just trying to wrap my brain around all this. First you say this:

It is first going into my current build then when I can get the rest of my build together it will go into that machine.
So I read this and think ok, he's getting a 1060 to toss into whatever he has now, and will buy new parts later and put the 1060 into that. Assuming after you get your tax return or whatever.

And the closest intel motherboard that I am willing to afford:
GIGABYTE GA-H170M-DS3H (rev. 1.0) LGA 1151 Intel H170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com

I really have to cheap out here so no overclocking malarky and am unsure
You then say this, which is about 30 bucks more than an H110 board you can get which you've already seen but you said really have to cheap out and you followed that up with this.

Small cost cutting is not the goal of the build, I am more concerned about how much my CPU and Motherboard is going to coast me at this point
Ok so then what is it? Super budget? Getting what you want? Was trying to save you all the bucks possible to put wherever it's needed more like getting a 6GB 1060 over a 3GB.

I already have a PSU that I can transfer over but just in case I can factor this into my budget:

EVGA 500 B1 100-B1-0500-KR 80+ BRONZE 500W Includes FREE Power On Self Tester Power Supply-Newegg.com

This PSU is more for my current build which is going to lose the PSU to the new build.
Its tier 3 and should do the job for my current build and make it last for the person i am giving it to.
I already have a seasonic G series 650W PSU right now that i got on sale and that is going into my new build.
SeaSonic SSR-650RM 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply-Newegg.com
You then follow up with this paragraph of confusion. So you already have a PSU, I'm assuming is the Seasonic which is what you said at the end. Then you say this PSU (the eVGA) is for the current build (i5 something?) which is going to lose the PSU to the new build (guessing Seasonic? to new parts?). You follow that with the next sentence which makes no sense. Tier 3?

Bottom line what I got was, I'm broke, I'm getting this 1060, here's some parts I want to make for a new build, and is this eVGA PSU decent enough for......what? You've never said what you currently have then make it even more confusing by linking an i3 to begin with and following that up saying you want something on par with your....current i5? If you have an i5 already and it's second gen or better then what's the point of sidegrading?

Okay let me clarify this:

My current machine is going to be given to a family member who needs a newer computer and I am not selling it to them as they have even less funds then I do so I need another computer here to replace the one i have with.
It will need a new power supply so that will be in my cost factor for this build I am doing as the one I have will go into the new build.
I got lucky with my current PSU, I got this SeaSonic SSR-650RM 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply-Newegg.com for $61 on black Friday cant beat that as the price for this thing I see fly up and down on newegg and Amazon at the time wanted twice as much (and no prime shipping!)

Now why I linked to the i3 is simple, its the same price as the rumor price charts of one the upcoming AMD Zen processor the SR3 which is aimed at the same target price as the highest cost i3
http://fudzilla.com/images/stories/2016/November/amd-zen-sku-pricing-chinese-source.png

This is from here:
Zen pricing document shows four SKUs under $500

If holding true to pricing the lowest cost AMD will be $150-$160 (this is guessing here as we dont know the real pricing of Zen, could be cheaper could be more expensive)
This is why the i3 is there, its a placeholder nothing more.

If AMD can offer me a CPU on par with a i3 but be better than i3 I will take it.
Currently the launch of the highest end Zen for consumers is $300 which is far cheaper than the rumored $500 price tag.
Heck if that chip can offer on board graphics on par with a RX 460 at the very least I may even consider skipping on the GPU for now... but this is guess work right now, we still dont fully know what AMD will be offering at what price so yes I will use placeholders until AMD starts selling the damned things.
Again the i3 is a placeholder nothing more, it serves as a base for the price of my new machine nothing more.

As for the goals of the build, keep things under $600 for the main build.
This keeps things in reach for me, I can afford at least $700 but cant use all of that $700 on just parts.
I also need to buy windows again plus I want to get protection plans so I am allocating some of my money towards that.
This is why a $8 difference doesnt matter but $30 does
that $30 is needed for protection plans.

So yeah Amazon is the better place to go for that reason, I was using newegg as more of a reference as even Amazon can fluctuate.
If I can keep the base build around $560 that will do nicely plus protection plans and windows I will come in around my top $700 limit for what i can spend.
I do have more than $700 but I cannot go over much more than that for pricing, maybe $20 as I am factoring in if prime cannot help me.
But this is why I am saying this is a budget build as I know what I can afford... around $700
I mean there are other factors too like needing another keyboard and mouse but i will leave those parts be as they can be picked up cheap at walmart or something

Last edited:
Anything out there about Zen is pure smoke. If AMD has any formal competition via IPC with Intel (not another throw more cores at it to seem better) then they won't be cheap. AMD needs money, bad. The target was already announced looking for Haswell level IPC which means their 4 core 8 thread will land around the 300 dollar range leaving the 8 core in the 500 dollar range (remember a 6900k is an 8 core Broadwell chip which costs double that but is Haswell performance, that will be their bread and butter). So the 150 dollar price range will land you in APU and dual core 4 thread territory. Your better bet would still be the i3 because Skylake is faster than Haswell/Broadwell and in IPC still be faster than the Zen price matched chip. APUs are weaker than the formal desktop parts, so there's that to consider too. The current AM4 chips we've seen are not Zen, they're Excavator and are priced accordingly.

That being said, it's pretty much a dead subject from anywhere between Jan - March and I doubt they'll launch the whole lineup at once.

Please none of that "AMD will be inferior" stuff
You know that the difference between Haswell and Skylake are not that far off and you are still paying a premium fot that intel badge.
I say its a good thing AMD is coming out with some new CPU's so that intel dont overcharge us for chips that are only slightly better than last gens.
Plus broadwells are pretty good so dont count AMD out.
Face it Intel needs AMD unless you want to see even the lowest price Intel pentium costing at
$60.83 to be costing about the same price as a goddamned i7

Last edited:
Simmer down, you're talking to somebody who has contacts with both companies through work. AMD wants to sell us chips so they have to feed us information, and over time that same info has pretty much come out through the grapevine. Besides all that, you completely missed my point to begin with. You're hoping for Intel performance for Bulldozer pricing, and if they really did hit that Haswell mark it won't be as cheap as everybody is hoping for. They need to make money, and the mainstream market is where that comes from. They won't be selling 4 core 8 thread chips for dimes on the dollar when they can slightly undercut Intel and make up the difference through royalties on the board AIBs. So to tl;dr my previous post, don't expect an i7 4790k performing chip for less than 200 bucks. It's not realistic and that chip will come out being slightly less than 300 to undercut Intel just enough to win over some hearts and make up for it in chipset and APU sales. For the price point you want you're looking at their top APU or a 2 core 4 thread chip just like an i3, and Skylake IPC is still better than Haswell and Intel's platform is practically bug free. AM4 is brand spanking new and it'll have problems just like Intel's P67 and Z77/Z78 platforms did. The extra 8 bucks as you put it is better spent on the tried and true if it all pans out like we think it will. That's coming from somebody running a Haswell chip hoping for the 8 core 16 thread 500 dollar Zen to pack the Haswell punch. Why pay 1000 for a 6900k/5960x like my best friend did when I can spend half to get the same thing. Like I said up there, if 8 core 16 threads = 500 then a 4 core 8 thread is going to be slightly less than Intel's 300 dollar price point pinning the 2 core 4 thread chips right around the 119-150 range and the top APU around there too (that'll be 4 straight cores slightly slower with a Radeon IGP).

Back
Top Bottom