Looking for a thumbs up on this component list

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably won't do too much gaming. Mostly I'm just excited to reopen my 2-3 year old copies of Half Life 2 and GRAW and play them at close to max settings! I also hope and expect to be able to play Crysis at halfway decent settings on 1680x1050 resolution.

Being candid the computer will mostly be used as a word processor :( But also as a music server for my squeezebox and for internet surfing and some online work applications. Right now my only computer is a thinkpad with a 2Ghz C2D and 2GB - there are plenty of times when I have ten tabs open, MS Word, and slimserver (music server software) running, and I wish it were faster. Maybe I should spend the extra $125 and get the Q9550?

you should get some pretty sweet framerates on high in Crysis with the 4870 and you can run pretty much any other game at absolute maximum settings without a worry... i really would agree with these guys on the modular PSU, as i know from experience, even the tiniest bit of airflow will help lower your temps.

if you wanna do some video encoding on this rig, your gonna want a quad core (thats where they really shine... oh, and multitasking, so you'll have no worries with your 10 tabs)... i'd get the q6600, save $125 and buy an aftermarket cooler so i could OC the q6600 (thus saving $50-75)... seriously, you can push it to well beyond 3.6GHz and if you've got the G0 stepping you'll be pimpin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom