LCD or CRT? - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 04:39 PM   #11 (permalink)
True Techie

Send a message via AIM to Paisan Send a message via Yahoo to Paisan
Default Re: LCD or CRT?

Considering I have been computing since the TI99/4A days (I bet most of you don't even know what that is, hehe), I have to say that a good CRT is vastly superior to LCD's in overall color depth, crispness and refresh performance. However, LCD's have come a long way in recent years and you can get a good LCD for around $200 which will perform well enough to get the job done with similar performance.

My last CRT was a 20inch flat screen MAG (forget the actual model number) back when MAG was a very hot brand. That thing was absolutely brilliant, but took up so much desk space it was ridiculous. Once LCD's came out with affordable widescreens for desktops, I never looked back for that very reason.

My first experience with a widescreen LCD was on my HP Pavilion Media Edition Laptop with a truebright screen. I was hooked from that point. I now have a 20.1inch widescreen LCD and wouldn't trade it for the world. The little bit of difference in overall performance is well worth it. Gaming in widescreen, or even doing other types of media is incredible and something you just can't get with a CRT.

If I do upgrade monitors at any point I will upgrade to a 22", but doubt I will ever go beyond that as I can't see my fiancee across the desk from me as it is, lol.

Old 07-30-2007, 05:14 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master Techie

A large crt....is big....and heavy....and kicka$$ when it comes to gaming......I am constantly changing resolutions on my 21" crt, while my buddy is struggling to get good frames on some games with his native resolution lcd.....he can change resolutions, but not without a quality drop.

I know I am one of only a few left.....but I will vote crt until there are no more....lol.....or until you can change resolution without losing quality of picture

Cooler Master V6 GT Heat Sink
8 GB G-Skill DDR 3 1600
GTX 570 SLI
Asus Xonar Essence STX Sound Card
Grado RS1i & AKG Q701 Headphones
MAD EAR + HD Headphone Amp
Corsair CMPSU 850 Watt
Western Digital Black 500 GB
Crucial M4 64 GB SSD For Windows 7 64 Bit
Samsung 2494SW 24" LCD
Logitech G5 Mouse
Logitech G110 Keyboard
Old 07-30-2007, 05:17 PM   #13 (permalink)
Everything to Nothing

Send a message via MSN to Nick

whats the point in a CRT? big, bulky. whereas a LCD has a nice crisp sharp display that no CRT will ever have
Old 07-30-2007, 05:19 PM   #14 (permalink)
Retired.

Send a message via AIM to peterhuang913

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickm926 View Post
whats the point in a CRT? big, bulky. whereas a LCD has a nice crisp sharp display that no CRT will ever have
CRTs have their own advantages. They have a more true black color and can represent the color spectrum for accurately that LCDs can, this is why photo experts use CRTs because it has a more realistic color representation.

My computer uses 1.5A-load, .8A-idle, .65A-standby, .05A-turned off on 125V.
"The spaces between your fingers were created so that another's could fill them in."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcent View Post
I need to stop using the internet.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:29 PM   #15 (permalink)
True Techie

CRT's still control the performance and perfection market. LCD's have a quite a bit of work ahead of them to catch up, but they are definitely getting closer. If you want true blacks and true full color spectrum you have to go CRT.

LCD's really are just a convenience. That is their real strength. I personally can live with the tradeoff, but occassionally I do notice the difference and wish I still had my old CRT.

For you younger techies who haven't had the chance to play a game or compare photos on the two monitor types won't understand what we are saying. You really have to see it for yourself to an appreciation.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:39 PM   #16 (permalink)
True Techie

However with the recent development of glossy type lcd monitors, colors are true and blacks are more clearly defined. A step in right direction
Old 07-30-2007, 05:43 PM   #17 (permalink)
True Techie

definitely a step in the right directon. as i said, they are getting closer, but even with those new screens you still have the issue of hot spots with lcds. even the impressive 3000:1 DCR's still dont provide the same clarity as a good CRT.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:27 PM   #18 (permalink)
True Techie

Send a message via AIM to azzyork

amen!
Old 07-30-2007, 06:45 PM   #19 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paisan View Post
CRT's still control the performance and perfection market. LCD's have a quite a bit of work ahead of them to catch up, but they are definitely getting closer. If you want true blacks and true full color spectrum you have to go CRT.

LCD's really are just a convenience. That is their real strength. I personally can live with the tradeoff, but occassionally I do notice the difference and wish I still had my old CRT.

For you younger techies who haven't had the chance to play a game or compare photos on the two monitor types won't understand what we are saying. You really have to see it for yourself to an appreciation.
amen to thta... i did notice... some of the black issue u noticed.. and i was like omg... whats going on... is this thing broken, should i tell my parents to get a refund
I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.

.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
Old 07-30-2007, 06:47 PM   #20 (permalink)
True Techie

that is one of the unfortunate side effects of lcd's. plasma screens have less of an issue with that, but now youre talking high end hdtv.

Closed Thread