IP Camera Recording Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

900RR

In Runtime
I've got a building with 31 IP cameras in and around it. Owners bought a <$600 Acer from walmart with 320GB and an AMD 2350 X2 dual core. Integrated graphics I assume.

Anyway, I got it all setup with Active Cam software, and the thing stays pinned at 100% cpu usage, and only does 1.2 frames per second on the cameras, and fills the HD in like 2 days. I'd like to record all cams for at least 7 days so... and I want at least 8 frames per second. The system calculator for the program says I need 1016MB HD and 5.7ghz processor, I dunno if they are counting on dual or single core or what, but that last part's obviously not gonna happen. It doesn't give a recommended video card..

I'm planning on a DFI Bloodiron mobo, 2.66Ghz Q9450, and 4GB of G-Skill PC6400. Corsair 650HX PSU, a nondescript case... I don't know what kind of video card I need. I have a 8800GTS in my gaming comp, but not sure what's necessary for video surveillance. I guess I'm looking at 8800GT, 9600GT, 8800GTS or 9800GTX. All of which may be overkill? Which do you suggest? Also planning on a western digital 1TB HD, and possibly, a 1TB(or maybe smaller) external hard drive to back up the video files to. Is it possible to backup to an external HD over a network? Do any have ethernet or are they all USB? I'd like to tuck it away somewhere hidden, like in a wall or abve a ceiling, far from computers. I'd like to set it up to backup the files in the video folder, or even the entire comp hard drive, to the external about every 2-5 minutes or so. Any idea how to do that?

Any help would be great, even if you don't know the answers to all my questions. Last time I looked at hardware for building, there were no 9 series nvidias so.. it's been a while. I assume the 9800GTX's trump the 8800 GTS's, right? I may even be just fine with a 3870.... Give me your opinions!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom