Ide And Sata In Same Build? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 01-13-2009, 01:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
Default Ide And Sata In Same Build?

Doing my first do I use wire a SATA hdd and an IDE dvd drive? Do I need an adapter? Should I just get a sata drive? I will eventually get one, I'm just anxious to get it running.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie
Default Re: Ide And Sata In Same Build?

You just plug them into different spots. You should have a different spot on the mobo for the connections and the power supply should have both or just use a adapter. I run sata hdd and ide dvdrw no problem. So unless theres some new boards without ide and you got one you should be fine.

"Now I lay my computer down to sleep, I pray the hard drive my files to keep, If I should lose power before I save, I pray the hard drive my backups to take"
The Techies' Bible - Dario 1:1
Old 01-13-2009, 01:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie
Send a message via MSN to Tenenbaum

First off, what is your motherboard?
You should have no problems connecting a IDE and SATA, I have this in my system at the moment, just make sure you have the SATA set as the main drive.
Also, make sure you have all the appropriate cables for this setup.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
There and Back again

Also, if you use the sata as your primary drive, don't forget to put the IDE as slave. Most older IDE drive are pre-set to Cable Select in the jumper setting. with sata as primary and the IDE set to CS, you might have issue with compatability. (I know I did when I had done this set up) So as long as set to slave on the IDE you should be good.

Dell 4K S2817Q / Logitech Z-680 / Func MS3 Mouse / Corsair K70
NZXT Source 530 / i7-3770K / Corsair H100 / ASRock Z77 Extreme4 / SoundBlaster Recon3d
Samsung 850 PRO 512GB SSD/Seagate 1TB/2TB/WD 2TB
4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 / PNY GTX 980 ti/ Seasonic M12II 850W
Old 01-13-2009, 09:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
disgruntled ex-moderator

i use an IDE as my main drive in my media rig with a 500gb SATA as storage. why, you ask? because i am too lazy to move my OS to the SATA.
works fine.
"nagasama no longer drinks tecate, or streaks out of the night for anything, and he has a fine wife so he has no use for your girlfriend...she is safe..."
Old 01-13-2009, 09:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
Everything to Nothing
Send a message via MSN to Nick

Yep, running two IDE DVD/RWs and 2 SATA WD Caviars here.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:44 AM   #7 (permalink)

I am running 3 seagates and 2 ide dvd writers aswell however I just got a ide adapter as I seem to have an influx of ide hdd's available.
Old 01-13-2009, 04:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Seg Fault'n

I just stopped using a couple of ~10GB Maxtor IDEs from 24/01/00 and 5/5/99. Much more reliable than seagates their age (or even half their age) but they both make an anoying high pitched whine. OP: yes you can mix SATA and IDE devices with no worries whatsoever as long as you take care of the normal stuff for the IDEs ie max one master and one slave on each channel.

There are in order of increasing severity: lies, darn lies, statistics, and computer benchmarks. - diskinfo man page
"Get your money and let's go to court!" - Craig Mudie, MS
Closed Thread