high end 3d system

Status
Not open for further replies.

zenyora

Daemon Poster
hey..
recently i got hierd at ravensoft ( local game company) and since then i felt that i need to upgrade my computer due to the sluggish performance that i get when trying to do work at home and i was wondering if anyone can help me configure a good computer for working with very high end 3d models that goes up to 200000 ploys...
my budget is about $1500..i know its not that much for a very good computer but ill upgrade later ...
i was looking at different cpus and most of the article that i read, and the workstations that i looked at had either amd x2 4800+ or AMD Dual-Core Opteron(2 much ..ha?) so iam thinking about something between those lines but iam leaning more toward the 4800+ more because i think it would allow to multitask more..what do you think?unless you have a different opinion?
for the configuration i don't know if i should go with pci-e or sli?
ram iam intrested in either 1 or2 gigs depending on what my budget allowes..
i also need a good graphic crad and about 100 gig or more of hard drive space?what do you recommend?
i guess you get the picture..so any suggestions will be highly appreciated
thank you all

if you're dealing with high amounts of polygons, it's going to be more CPU dependant, although it will probabbly pay to have a good graphics card aswell.

my advice is to get a socket 939 AMD system, with an X2 3800+ to 4800+
your system will last for a long time before you need to upgrade if you do get a 4800+. it is currently the best CPU commercially available, except for the Opteron 850's and above, although they cost heaps, and are designed more for servers.

for a motherboard, either get a DFI NF4 Ultra-D, or an MSI K8N Neo4, depending on how much you want to spend. the DFI is a better board, the MSI is not quite as good, but less expensive.

video card: very recently, Nvidia has released a 6800 GS, which doesn't cost much yet has great performance.

RAM: OCZ 2x512MB or 2x1GB. 2GB total will give you a more future proof computer. 1GB will suffice, but ATM more people are starting to move over to 2GB for high end systems. it is probabbly the better option with the upcoming games.

for hard drives, look for Seagate. thet make some of the best drives around, which are fast, quiet and really reliable.

for the graphics, also consider the 7800gt, that thing is also great value & probablly designed for SLI.

The_Tobes99 said:
for the graphics, also consider the 7800gt, that thing is also great value & probablly designed for SLI.

He is not a gamer so SLI will be no use at all to him. Even when working with high poly modles.

He also will not need a top of the line motherboard. He will not be gaming, but he should get something with an Nforce4,Nforce4 ultra chipset. DFI are great for gamers and overclockers but have no real advantage for stuff like zenyora dose.

so this is what i have so far..
cpu:AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Toledo 1GHz FSB 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket 939 Dual Core Processor-$787

ram: OCZ Performance 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory-$223

motherboard:DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard-$115

videocard:eVGA 256-P2-N383-TX Geforce 6800 256MB 256-bit DDR PCI Express x16 Video Card-$219

what do you think?
what ells i am missing...case,power supply,what do you reccomend?anything ells?
thanks
yora

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom