[Help] building my first computer - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 03-28-2006, 05:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default [Help] building my first computer

Hai there,

I need a help in building my new computer system. Should I pick up AMD or Intel? Heard AMD has beaten Intel in performance and speed? Can anyone confirm that ? In what case I should considering on choosing Intel?

The other thing is the motherboard, I noticed that not all of 939 socket motherboard support dual core, and I heard someone saying about BIOS flash.

what is bios flash ? How to do it?
So in theory all 939 socket motherboard would support dual core if we flash the bios, have anyone confirm that??

Next one would be graphic card, I am goin for PCI express so wonder should I choose ATI or Nvidia chipset? What is the pro and cons for each of them?

Old 03-28-2006, 05:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

if you can wait, i would advise that for a few months, maybe till late Q3, by which time Conroe should have come out. as of now, AMD makes better, cooler processors, but that could change very soon...

as for the video card, it depends on your budget. nvidia has the best low/mid-end cards while ati and nvidia are pretty even once you look at high end. ati has the x1900 line, nvidia has the 7800/7900s.

but again, wait if you can

Old 03-28-2006, 05:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

thx for the reply. Anyone have try the bios flash on 939 motherboard? Some old mobo come with AGP slot, wonder if they could support dual core if I update the bios?
Closed Thread