HDD Full - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 11:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Exclamation HDD Full

So, my D: drive is where I keep all my non-windows OS stuff like videos, games, programs, music, etc.

It's 1TB and now it's almost full. I am planning on buying a 2TB HDD from WD (probably a Caviar black or something), but I have no clue how to transfer all my data from the D: drive on to this new HDD. Is there a program to do this for me or do I have to reformat?

Also, will my program / game assosciations like registry information be broken if I transfer all the data to a new HDD?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT:
Would the most effecient way of doing this be: keeping all my progs / games on my 1TB (which equates to about 100GB of data), then purchase a 2TB and put all my personal files on that (which equates to about 720GB), leaving my 300GB HDD for the Windows OS?

Old 10-15-2009, 12:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie

Default Re: HDD Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by zythyl View Post
It's 1TB and now it's almost full.
Um, Wow

Quote:
I am planning on buying a 2TB HDD
Probably a good idea

Quote:
Is there a program to do this for me or do I have to reformat?
? Are you saying that you are happy to format, and lose all your stuff? I'm unsure what you mean by this(?)

Quote:
Also, will my program / game assosciations like registry information be broken if I transfer all the data to a new HDD?
Yes, some games look for your game data in their prescibed folders, therefore your saved game data may not exist when you play your game next

"Programs" should never be moved
You are best to uninstall the program and re-install it again

Quote:
EDIT:
Would the most effecient way of doing this be: keeping all my progs / games on my 1TB (which equates to about 100GB of data), then purchase a 2TB and put all my personal files on that (which equates to about 720GB), leaving my 300GB HDD for the Windows OS?
I think that would be best for the moment, until you get all your programs and data safe
I would plug in the new 3rd Hard Drive and start copying over what you want to put on the new drive
Then once confirmed the data is ok, start removing it from the old drive (note this may include uninstall of programs)

Old 10-15-2009, 01:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

Thanks for the reply.

Just to clarify: I now plan on having three HDD's: one for the OS, one for installd games / apps, and the other for vids, music, pics, etc. (I concluded this would be probably the most efficient thing to do).

And what I meant by reformatting was, last time I installed a new HDD, I had to reformat for some reason (can't remember why) - and was wondering whether I'd have to do this again. But now I know all I'm doing is transfering all my non-registry-linked files (music, work files etc) to the new 2TB.
Old 10-15-2009, 01:26 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie

Yes you may need to format the new drive
You can do this is Disk Management in Control Panel>Administrative Tools
Old 10-15-2009, 01:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie

Cheers.

Wish me luck.
Old 10-15-2009, 01:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Techie

Quote:
Just to clarify: I now plan on having three HDD's
Yes that's right
Good luck
Old 10-15-2009, 01:33 AM   #7 (permalink)
G33K P0W3R!!!!

Location: HickTown, California (hesperia), and West Hollywood

format the new drive

copy all of the data from the old to the new (do this by enabling the showing of hidden/system files)

shut down

remove old hdd, hook up new one the same way the old one was hooked upo

reboot

go into disk management and make sure the drive letter is now the same as it was before (if necessary)

you may need to do this from a different computer since sometimes windows has a fit about copying files in use.

Need a HDTV? Come find me at BestBuy #108 in Victorville XD
:D-----v Just pwnt my cpu, 900mhz OC v-----:D
Closed Thread