GTX 260 core 216 worth it to upgrade? 8800 GTX comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabb

gone
I bring up this question because I currently have a 8800 GTX ( which I currently have to RMA ), this question has been presented before in one of my non related threads ( concerning me having to RMA my 1.5 year old 8800 GTX ). In the past the 8800 GTX was more then 2x faster then the 7 series card, but since then it has seemed like technology has slowed down a bit with the 9 series basically being repackaged 8 series with minor improvements. Anyways along comes the GTX series, and at first I was a bit skeptical if nvidia would pull another huge performance increase that the 8 series enjoyed over the 7 series. My expectations were however a bit dissapointed when I saw Anandtechs article which contains the only professional testing with a 8 series, all other professional benchmarks seem to omit the 8 series due to its age. AnandTech: The Radeon HD 4850 & 4870: AMD Wins at $199 and $299

In this article it shows some pretty surprising results ( well at least they surprised me )where a GTX 260 ( a non core 216 is done int he test which is theoretically 12.5% slower but listed as currently 6% slower then a core 216 in their more up to date benching ) is only:

17% faster then a 8800 GTX in bioshock
23% faster then a 8800 GTX in Crysis
31% faster then a 8800 GTX in Assassins Creed

other results show a more substantial boost ( around 40-50% ) improvement. All these benchmarks were at stock settings ( which they should be since OCing shouldn't be considered because it just introduces more uncontrollable variables in the experiment ). I presented this question to another forum where someone posted his own results comparing a 8800 GTX to a GTX 260 in 3dmark06:

Which show a 280 only having 28% high scores then a 8800 GTX in non SLI mode ( the margin is even lower in SLI mode )

I was also told to try my own experiment in Crysis to try to validate Anandtechs findings and the results were:
[/

in comparison Nosboost ( whereever he is ) recieved these results:
http://www.techist.com/forums/1482538-post325.html

35% seems a little far off from Anandtechs findings until you consider the fact his GPU was OCed and mine was at stock which obviously would bring the % further which I think proves Anandtechs findings. ( I realize comparing peoples individual benchmarks is less exact then professional benchmarking on the same system, but it at the very least offers ballpark numbers to go by )

So Bottom line is, does everyone think its worth it to upgrade in my case? Or should I wait for the next generation or for prices to lower even further? I know these are comparisons of only current games, and theres no telling how performance margins will change in future games ( can be assumed they will increase ) but for now we can only test what we can test ( current games ). Whats everyone think? I know a few peoples opinions on the issue and I just want to recieve more.

No Contest.. I'd recommend jumping on it.. or the HD 4870

Your opinion is always valued to me vernong but you responded kind of fast which makes me wonder if you read my post :p

Anyways I've been considering the GTX 280 and HD 4870 ( I'm always wreary of my belovid ATI, I mean I loved my 9800 and x800 xl but all these ATI driver problems with games kind of gets me worried ), also the GTX 280 and HD 4870 are pretty pricey at the moment ( not compared to 1.5 years ago though ). What do you think of the % increases and do you think the price/performance different in the 260 to the 280 are worth the jump?

note: I play at 1680 x 1050 resolution

Well, AMD did mention releases about the new cards.. I remember skimming through that post during 3rd Period.. so I don't remember any mention of the date of release.. but that might also be looking into..

Honestly, most of the AMD problems come from CrossfireX, I guess both nVidia and AMD have to work on it..

But I'd say plunge fast, before your 8800GTX becomes worthless...

Well, AMD did mention releases about the new cards.. I remember skimming through that post during 3rd Period.. so I don't remember any mention of the date of release.. but that might also be looking into..

Honestly, most of the AMD problems come from CrossfireX, I guess both nVidia and AMD have to work on it..

But I'd say plunge fast, before your 8800GTX becomes worthless...

well at $130 listed for a brand new one, at best I could get $75 for it, which means I won't sell it, it just seems too much of a mindboggling loss to me if I sell something I bought for $530. Besides I think it's practical use value is much higher then $75 measely bucks, I mean heck I could always use it for old machines and such.

Backup in case you fry what you get next.. I don't know really what you play.. but after getting this HD 3850, I feel no power to upgrade anything on my rig.. (well maybe except the Tiny HD and the crap mouse I have)

This situation can be easily decided based on what you play, what you plan to play and what settings you do it on. (wow I just went parallel in that sentence..)

Backup in case you fry what you get next.. I don't know really what you play.. but after getting this HD 3850, I feel no power to upgrade anything on my rig.. (well maybe except the Tiny HD and the crap mouse I have)

This situation can be easily decided based on what you play, what you plan to play and what settings you do it on. (wow I just went parallel in that sentence..)

you should definately upgrade your mouse, heck theres a G5 special where it was only like 35$, thats just flat out a steal. Er so if your saying an HD 3850 is more then enough for what you play...well then why give me the recommendation to make the jump from an 8800 GTX ( more powerful then a 3850 by a good amount ) to a GTX 260 ( whos % better is in question ). The best way to make buying decisions imho is to compare the % higher in cost to the % higher in performance. However with the whole SLI/crossfire in the mix, its been much harder to compare % higher in performance in certain games.

what brand is your card? a couple companies have a step-up program...so if you paid a lot more it you could get a good card out of it.

but anyway it goes : the 260 is a good upgrade over the 8800gtx

you should definately upgrade your mouse, heck theres a G5 special where it was only like 35$, thats just flat out a steal. Er so if your saying an HD 3850 is more then enough for what you play...well then why give me the recommendation to make the jump from an 8800 GTX ( more powerful then a 3850 by a good amount ) to a GTX 260 ( whos % better is in question ). The best way to make buying decisions imho is to compare the % higher in cost to the % higher in performance. However with the whole SLI/crossfire in the mix, its been much harder to compare % higher in performance in certain games.

The way you said the Post, I assumed you are quite interested in future games and are not satisfied with your 8800GTX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom