Which GPU should i buy? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-02-2010, 12:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Oxfordshire,UK
Posts: 25
Default Which GPU should i buy?

I've been looking for an upgrade to my rig for quite a while now and as a student on a budget it's a bit of a pain to find the right choice of card.

I have a budget of 150-200

I've been looking at the GTX 460/470 and it's there when i'm getting stuck on which to buy,
My Mobo is a XFX and is designed for SLi and i currently have a 8800Gs. I have been looking at ATI for a while but after looking into it a bit more i think a more viable option would be to get a new Nvidia card and keep my current card in the case solely for PhysX

I know the 470 has some heat issues but with an antec1200 case the cooling isn't to much of a worry.

any ideas would be grealty appreciated
__________________

TJCC0 is offline  
Old 11-02-2010, 12:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie
 
iPROTechman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Manchester
Posts: 334
Send a message via MSN to iPROTechman
Default Re: Which GPU should i buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJCC0 View Post
I've been looking for an upgrade to my rig for quite a while now and as a student on a budget it's a bit of a pain to find the right choice of card.

I have a budget of 150-200

I've been looking at the GTX 460/470 and it's there when i'm getting stuck on which to buy,
My Mobo is a XFX and is designed for SLi and i currently have a 8800Gs. I have been looking at ATI for a while but after looking into it a bit more i think a more viable option would be to get a new Nvidia card and keep my current card in the case solely for PhysX

I know the 470 has some heat issues but with an antec1200 case the cooling isn't to much of a worry.

any ideas would be grealty appreciated
You could get an ati card and use your nvidia for physx I think.

It depends what games you want to play, the new 6850/6870's are good, aswell as the gtx 460, they're all great cards.

If you can tell me what games you are interested in playing I could help you out some more?
__________________

__________________
Intel I5 2500K | Gigabyte P67 UD5 |16GB Mushkin Redline @ 2133MHZ|Custom Watercooling | Crucial C300 64GB SSD | GPU currently bidding for |Corsair HX 1000W PSU | Corsair 700D
iPROTechman is offline  
Old 11-02-2010, 01:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Oxfordshire,UK
Posts: 25
Default Re: Which GPU should i buy?

Yeah i've been trying to look into using an ati card and the nvidia for physX but i'm not entirely sure how my motherboard is going to react to it. i know techincally it shouldn't make a difference as there not connected in anyway but nothing is ever tha simple.

I'm a big fan of FPS and will probaly be getting Black Ops/Medal of Honour etc. but i'm also a fan of strategy and racing. I do play a bit of everything but i would say my focus is on FPS games.
TJCC0 is offline  
Old 11-02-2010, 01:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Build Guru
 
PP Mguire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 28,317
Default Re: Which GPU should i buy?

The motherboard wont make a difference. The difference is its a real pain to get ATI and Nvidia to play nice to use PhysX. Another thing is if you get a 400 series card then having a slower card for PhysX really wont be helping much if at all.

Either way you should be set if you decide on a 460 or 6870. Its all down to what your wallet wants in the end.
__________________
"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft
Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire PSN = PP_Mguire

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline  
Old 11-02-2010, 01:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Techie
 
iPROTechman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Manchester
Posts: 334
Send a message via MSN to iPROTechman
Default Re: Which GPU should i buy?

personally I'd go for a 6870, Or possibly this gigabyte 460, ive seen reviews and it's the best gtx 460 according to them. Gigabyte GTX 460 Super OverClock Edition 1GB Dual DVI.. | Ebuyer.com
__________________
Intel I5 2500K | Gigabyte P67 UD5 |16GB Mushkin Redline @ 2133MHZ|Custom Watercooling | Crucial C300 64GB SSD | GPU currently bidding for |Corsair HX 1000W PSU | Corsair 700D
iPROTechman is offline  
Old 11-02-2010, 01:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Oxfordshire,UK
Posts: 25
Default Re: Which GPU should i buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
The motherboard wont make a difference. The difference is its a real pain to get ATI and Nvidia to play nice to use PhysX.
Yeah, i've been looking at the process and it seems like alot of hassle to get the ATi and Nvidia drivers to "play nice"
TJCC0 is offline  
Old 11-02-2010, 01:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Oxfordshire,UK
Posts: 25
Default Re: Which GPU should i buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPROTechman View Post
personally I'd go for a 6870, Or possibly this gigabyte 460, ive seen reviews and it's the best gtx 460 according to them. Gigabyte GTX 460 Super OverClock Edition 1GB Dual DVI.. | Ebuyer.com
Yes i've also seen that gig card and it did catch my attention :P obviously it does appeal but i could probaly reach the same level of overclock myself and save me a bit of cash.
I have been looking at the 5000 and now 6000 series for some time and for the price you get more card for the money. My main concern with ATI is there amazingly dodgey drivers. They seem to have a knack for making drivers that don't work properly. i've had serveral firends with ATI cards and only one who hasn't had any issues with there drivers
TJCC0 is offline  
Old 11-02-2010, 01:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Techie
 
iPROTechman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Manchester
Posts: 334
Send a message via MSN to iPROTechman
Default Re: Which GPU should i buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJCC0 View Post
Yes i've also seen that gig card and it did catch my attention :P obviously it does appeal but i could probaly reach the same level of overclock myself and save me a bit of cash.
I have been looking at the 5000 and now 6000 series for some time and for the price you get more card for the money. My main concern with ATI is there amazingly dodgey drivers. They seem to have a knack for making drivers that don't work properly. i've had serveral firends with ATI cards and only one who hasn't had any issues with there drivers
Yep, but, They're improving alot To be honest. I'd go with the 6870 or that Gigabyte one :3 I have an 5770 myself, I love it.
__________________
Intel I5 2500K | Gigabyte P67 UD5 |16GB Mushkin Redline @ 2133MHZ|Custom Watercooling | Crucial C300 64GB SSD | GPU currently bidding for |Corsair HX 1000W PSU | Corsair 700D
iPROTechman is offline  
Old 11-02-2010, 01:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Oxfordshire,UK
Posts: 25
Default Re: Which GPU should i buy?

Well i've narrowed it down to the 6870 and the 460.
Now it's just picking between them
TJCC0 is offline  
Old 11-02-2010, 01:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Techie
 
iPROTechman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Manchester
Posts: 334
Send a message via MSN to iPROTechman
Default Re: Which GPU should i buy?

Google it maybe? I'm sure they'll be a comparison somewhere.
__________________

__________________
Intel I5 2500K | Gigabyte P67 UD5 |16GB Mushkin Redline @ 2133MHZ|Custom Watercooling | Crucial C300 64GB SSD | GPU currently bidding for |Corsair HX 1000W PSU | Corsair 700D
iPROTechman is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.