Difference AMD 64 4000+ and 3800 x2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 11-12-2005, 04:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Difference AMD 64 4000+ and 3800 x2

I have ordered a new pc with the 4000+ single core processor. My main usage will be for gaming. Also for schoolwork and the internet plus I do a little messing around with photoshop but nothing serious.

What I want to know is will I really notice any difference between a 4000+ and a 3800 dual core. The gerneral opinion seems to be that the 3800 dual is better 'future proof'. Will it actually have any more longevity over the 4000+?

Old 11-12-2005, 04:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
The Angriest of Amoebas

Programs and games are going to start using the dual cores, so it is "future proof". Dual core is the future.

Old 11-12-2005, 05:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

But would I notice any big differences in performance, i.e. will games run noticibly differently on the single core to the dual core in the next few years?
Old 11-12-2005, 06:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Send a message via AIM to Flanker

In the next few years, games that run on two threads will obviously run better on a Dual Core PC because the two cores will be able to take half of the game each. So if you had a 4800+, it would be like running half the game on 1 regular 4000+ and the other half on the other regular 4000+. However, there is a pricing issue. For roughly the same price, you can get a Dual Core 2.0GHz CPU or a 2.4GHz Single Core CPU. IMO, single core CPUs will always be faster than Dual Core CPUs. If what we're thinking right now is right, then yea, a Dual Core CPU will be better than a single core in games. But I'm starting to question our way of thinking Looking at FEAR right now, Dual Core CPUs don't make a crap of a difference (and FEAR is supposed to support Dual Cores). In My Honost Opinion, I think that the increased speed of a 2.4GHz 4000+ will make up for the 2 cores of a 2.0GHz X2 3800+. Seems illogical, but seems true.

Your move.
Old 11-13-2005, 02:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks a lot for your help.
Closed Thread