CPU Upgrade advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

darksaru

Beta member
Hello everyone, I hope you can help me on this.

I'm thinking of upgrading my motherboard, so obviously I'll need a new CPU, since the new board doesn't support my old one.

I searched the net for hours and hours to look for the best suited option for me, I asked a couple of friends as well.

I'm confused between an Intel core i5-661 3.33 GHz / core i7 930 / AMD Phenom II X6 1090T

My friends recommended AMD, but I had some bad experiences with AMD before, so I'm not quite sure about it. All this is really confusing me ><

Oh and if you must know, it's for a gaming PC.

Hope you can help my confusion xD

what processor do you have now? a better upgrade for games would be getting a better graphics card, what graphics card do you have now?... how much are you going to be willing to spend on this upgrade?... how many watts is your power supply?

for budget builds AMD is the way to go, but if you want to be the big dog on the porch intel is defiantly better than AMD.

My processor is an Intel E8400, my VGA card should be fine, it's a GeForce 260GTX, which played many high-end games like Crysis and Far Cry 2 smoothly.

The money isn't the issue here :p I'm just confused as for which to get, and if I'm going for a gaming PC, is it better to get a duo core or quad core?

And thanks for the reply :)

A video card is a more sensible upgrade. An E8400 can play those games without any problem, in fact there's not much difference in Farcry2 and Crysis between an E8400 and i7

A video card is a more sensible upgrade. An E8400 can play those games without any problem, in fact there's not much difference in Farcry2 and Crysis between an E8400 and i7

Well, the CPU isn't the only problem, I know I can play recent games, but since my board doesn't support a DDR3 rams, and I hear a DDR3 ram can make huge differences, and well correct me if I'm mistaken o_O cuz I'm not quite sure

As far as I am aware DDR2 and DDR3 ram , you would only really see a difference in benchmarks, I dont think it makes a difference in gaming.

From what I've read his present computer will play Crysis and FarCry 2 but he want to upgrade for the newer games coming out. And he thinks his video card will be okay for a little longer still. Is this correct?

If so, and money isn't an issue then I would say go with a i7 920 or i7 930 with 6GB of DDR3 1600. At stock speeds you'll have plenty of power for the games out right now and in the future. You will want to upgrade your video card next or in the near future as it is slowly becoming obsolete and it will be the weakest component in your system. And later down the road when you think your system is needing another upgrade you can buy a $40-$50 heatsink and overclock the cpu, 4GHz is almost a guarantee.

From what I've read his present computer will play Crysis and FarCry 2 but he want to upgrade for the newer games coming out. And he thinks his video card will be okay for a little longer still. Is this correct?

If so, and money isn't an issue then I would say go with a i7 920 or i7 930 with 6GB of DDR3 1600. At stock speeds you'll have plenty of power for the games out right now and in the future. You will want to upgrade your video card next or in the near future as it is slowly becoming obsolete and it will be the weakest component in your system. And later down the road when you think your system is needing another upgrade you can buy a $40-$50 heatsink and overclock the cpu, 4GHz is almost a guarantee.

hmmm... that's what I thought of, I was more confused between the i5 and i7, I was thinking of changing my video card whenever I experience slow downs in the future games, games that might require more video power, I don't think I'm going to loose much changing my video card anyways, since I got it for a great offer, it was half the price, and now it's even more expensive than what I bought it for. And it's doing a very great job to me so far.

From all the comments I've read, I think the best suited option for me is either i5 or i7, but it seems I'm holding the upgrade for a little while longer, but thank you all for the help you gave me! and I still would love to hear more opinions ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom