CD/DVD question, - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-21-2009, 08:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 21
Default CD/DVD question,

Ok, im building a budget gaming computer, but i already have a computer. would i be able to use this computers power supply and CD/DVD rom? and put it in my budget build computer to save some money? good or bad idea? i upgraded my power supply a few months back, its really good its 650w
__________________

mobbdeep856 is offline  
Old 06-21-2009, 08:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
muffin enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: new york
Posts: 2,724
Default Re: CD/DVD question,

yea, it will work
__________________

Muffin Man is offline  
Old 06-21-2009, 08:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 21
Default Re: CD/DVD question,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffin Man View Post
yea, it will work
what about the power supply?
mobbdeep856 is offline  
Old 06-21-2009, 08:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
 
veg1992's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 19,993
Default Re: CD/DVD question,

Wattage isn't enough information, care to give the specs of it? and the specs of the rig you are planning to get?
__________________
I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.


.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
veg1992 is offline  
Old 06-21-2009, 08:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 21
Default Re: CD/DVD question,

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernong1992 View Post
Wattage isn't enough information, care to give the specs of it? and the specs of the rig you are planning to get?

-Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
-APEVIA CF12S-UBL 120mm Case Fan
-APEVIA CF12SL-4C 120mm Multi-Color LED Case Fan X2
-JetWay JHA06-GT-LF AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G ATX AMD Motherboard
-HIS Hightech Radeon HD 4670 1GB
-AMD Athlon X2 4850e 2.5GHz Socket AM2 45W Dual-Core
-PNY OPTIMA 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2
-Western Digital 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"
-Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit for System Builders

Total W/O shipping = $454.96

Not sure about the specs of the power supply, but i bought it off of newegg, its made by hec, and it glows blue
mobbdeep856 is offline  
Old 06-21-2009, 08:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
 
veg1992's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 19,993
Default Re: CD/DVD question,

Ahh HEC Power supplies... they are a little cheap, and I would avoid them.

Also, you can save a lot of money by just using a personal copy of Windows XP for now, because Windows 7 comes in October, and there are some places it looks like you cheaped out on that rig. Also, drop the extra case fans, you are adding unnecessary amounts that will actually block airflow. Also, just get the 512MB version of the HD 4670 because the 1GB usually does a performance decrease because it cannot utilize that much RAM and step up that RAM to a better brand, I think the Wintec AmpX DDR2 800 kit is like $30, and add a Corsair 450VX.
__________________
I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.


.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
veg1992 is offline  
Old 06-21-2009, 08:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
muffin enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: new york
Posts: 2,724
Default Re: CD/DVD question,

you can drop the vista home premium to save $100 and get the windows7 rc

Windows 7 Release Candidate

also, that isnt much info on the psu. post up the model number

edit: beat me >.<
Muffin Man is offline  
Old 06-21-2009, 09:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernong1992 View Post
Ahh HEC Power supplies... they are a little cheap, and I would avoid them.

Also, you can save a lot of money by just using a personal copy of Windows XP for now, because Windows 7 comes in October, and there are some places it looks like you cheaped out on that rig. Also, drop the extra case fans, you are adding unnecessary amounts that will actually block airflow. Also, just get the 512MB version of the HD 4670 because the 1GB usually does a performance decrease because it cannot utilize that much RAM and step up that RAM to a better brand, I think the Wintec AmpX DDR2 800 kit is like $30, and add a Corsair 450VX.
model numbers please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernong1992 View Post
Ahh HEC Power supplies... they are a little cheap, and I would avoid them.

Also, you can save a lot of money by just using a personal copy of Windows XP for now, because Windows 7 comes in October, and there are some places it looks like you cheaped out on that rig. Also, drop the extra case fans, you are adding unnecessary amounts that will actually block airflow. Also, just get the 512MB version of the HD 4670 because the 1GB usually does a performance decrease because it cannot utilize that much RAM and step up that RAM to a better brand, I think the Wintec AmpX DDR2 800 kit is like $30, and add a Corsair 450VX.
i think this is the power supply : N82E16817339006

Also, im on very low budget, im building a new computer for my birthday which is in 8 days, because this computer is getting old, im getting blue screens, to many viruses etc. i have avast pro but its not doing much.
mobbdeep856 is offline  
Old 06-21-2009, 09:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
 
veg1992's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 19,993
Default Re: CD/DVD question,

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobbdeep856 View Post
-Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
-APEVIA CF12S-UBL 120mm Case Fan
-APEVIA CF12SL-4C 120mm Multi-Color LED Case Fan X2
-JetWay JHA06-GT-LF AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G ATX AMD Motherboard
-HIS Hightech Radeon HD 4670 1GB
-AMD Athlon X2 4850e 2.5GHz Socket AM2 45W Dual-Core
-PNY OPTIMA 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2
-Western Digital 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"
-Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit for System Builders

Total W/O shipping = $454.96

Not sure about the specs of the power supply, but i bought it off of newegg, its made by hec, and it glows blue
Let me revamp your build to be better:

Newegg.com - WINTEC AMPX 2GB &#40;2 x 1GB&#41; 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 &#40;PC2 6400&#41; Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model 3AXT6400C5-2048K - Desktop Memory
-JetWay JHA06-GT-LF AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G ATX AMD Motherboard
-HIS Hightech Radeon HD 4670 1GB
-AMD Athlon X2 4850e 2.5GHz Socket AM2 45W Dual-Core
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX 450W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies
-Western Digital 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"
Windows 7 Beta or Windows XP
__________________
I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.


.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
veg1992 is offline  
Old 06-21-2009, 09:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 21
Default Re: CD/DVD question,

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernong1992 View Post
Let me revamp your build to be better:

Newegg.com - WINTEC AMPX 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model 3AXT6400C5-2048K - Desktop Memory
-JetWay JHA06-GT-LF AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G ATX AMD Motherboard
-HIS Hightech Radeon HD 4670 1GB
-AMD Athlon X2 4850e 2.5GHz Socket AM2 45W Dual-Core
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX 450W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies
-Western Digital 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"
Windows 7 Beta or Windows XP
wait should i keep the 1gb 4670 now?? because i just added the wintec ram and the 4670 iceQ 512 mb to my cart.
__________________

mobbdeep856 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CD/DVD Drive Won't Open AngeloR Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting 1 08-23-2008 05:21 PM
Rivatuner Question Drewser Overclocking and Modding 2 11-28-2007 03:40 PM
Power Supply Question + Overclocking Question Grievearz New Systems | Building and Buying 21 09-12-2007 12:59 AM
Weird Drive: WDC WD1200JB-00GVC0 & problems loading cd/dvd drive blood_phoenix Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting 3 09-10-2007 12:23 AM
CD/DVD Drives and for Gaming... OnlyCurious New Systems | Building and Buying 25 07-11-2007 04:23 PM



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.