Building new PC Need advice. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2019, 09:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Building new PC Need advice.

Well! Its been a while since we've visited this forum! 6 years to be exact! The rig my husband built in 2011, with the help of those who were here back then, is now ready to be replaced. 7+ years. Not bad at all. Now its my turn. Im looking for advice on this new build as he is leaving it all up to me. Im not a total noob at this but some guidance would be appreciated. I want to build a mid range/high end gaming PC. $1500.00 or less. We want to be able to play the newest games and have potential for VR. We also would like it to be reasonably easy to add on if we choose to do flight/driving simulators. We want to stay away from liquid cooling. Ive included an attachment from Amazon that shows what ive picked out so far. The prices can be ignored. I will shop around for the best deal. Let me know what you think.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The Build.jpg (90.1 KB, 11 views)

Old 07-01-2019, 06:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
Build Guru

Default Re: Building new PC Need advice.

I would wait until the 7th of this month since the new AMD chips will be released. Other than that looks pretty solid.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 08:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thank you for the response. I know of the new AMD chip And I also know that will likely push me well over my 1500.00 budget. I have shoes to buy! How about that SSD and the RAM.. Are they good solid buys? Is the power supply overkill?
Old 07-01-2019, 09:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
Build Guru

Think outside the box, the 3600 or 3600x would be the same or cheaper than the 2700x while performing better. That, and once they're released the Zen+ models will get price cuts so you can go either way.

RAM and PSU are good, can't comment too much on the SSD.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 11:28 AM   #5 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Read the reviews for those Adata drives and decide for yourself to what you want...
Quote:
Not only do we see performance improvements under load, but we also see an enormous shift in efficiency. We measured 189MB/s per watt, which is almost 50% faster than any other SSD in its class. That's impressive for a TLC SSD with less overprovisioning than competing models.

The SX8200 does have a few downsides, though. While it boasts a five-year warranty, it has the same endurance rating as the Adata's non-Pro equivalents. If you're after an alternative to the high-endurance Samsung 970 PRO, the SX8200 Pro is not the best option: The drive’s endurance ratings are one-third that of the new Phison E12 powered SSDs like the Corsair Force MP510 and MyDigitalSSD BPX Pro. This is a concern for professional use-cases, but the endurance rating is enough for enthusiasts.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews...sd,5955-3.html
Old 07-02-2019, 08:42 AM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Ok. This is great information. If i understand what you are saying this is a pretty good build and should be fairly future proof for a while.. I guess i like what i have so far. But what about a case. We currently have the Antec P182. We really like it and don't really want to replace it. Do you think it will work with the parts ive chosen?
Old 07-02-2019, 04:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

I'm sure they were nice cases in their day, but for an updated system, it would be nice to have 2.5" bay's for any future SSD's and USB 3.x ports on the front. There's not a lot to say about good air flow with that case either