Building a computer - some advice, please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay. So you think I could overclock an 2.4Ghz Opteron to be faster than the FX-60? A guy my brother knows said that Opterons are prone to overheating; is that true?

And what did you mean by twitchy drivers? Are Radeon cards a bad way to go, then..?

And why not get a 7900GTX rather than a GT? Is there only a very small difference?

Edit:
And, yeah. The case. I'm not sure how to go about choosing one. Does anyone have a recommendation on the case, then?

an Opteron 165 comes stock at 1.8GHz you can oc it to 2.8GHz on air cooling, 003 has OC'd it to 2.85GHz on air cooling. GET a 7900 Series.

Their is a huge difference between the 7900 GTX, and yes if you can afford it get.

7900 GT 7900 GTX
-256MB -512MB
-core clock 500MHZ -Core Clock 690MHZ
-memory clock 1500MHZ -memory clock 1760MHz
- -minimum 450watt PSU

the GTX ROCKS EVERY CARD OUT THERE. GET that one if u like.

I see..

So the verdict is
7900GTX (that's fine with me, if you guys think it's the best...)
Opteron 1XX (which one is best? The low end overclocked, or the high end one?)
And a DFI Ultra D mainboard (which is fine too, I guess)
450+W PSU
Decent RAM?

And I could overclock an Opteron fine with just the fan that comes with it?

And I should get a case with lots of vents and fans and things too, right?

Remember that I'd like to be able to play Oblivion / other modern games with the highest possible eye-candy (with the exception of anti-aliasing). Do you think the above would make a good setup for that kind of usage?

Edit:
I'm really confused about the graphics card, too. Aliasaid and lots of people on the Elder Scrolls forums are saying the X1900XTX is the best, and lots of you guys are saying the 7900GTX is the way to go. How do I decide? And what did Anthrax mean by twitchy drivers for the Radeon..?

Edit:
Okay, I'm looking at the X2 4800+ and it doesn't seem that different to the FX60 (it's 200Mhz slower, anyway...), and I'm also looking at the Opteron 180, which seems extremely similar to the X2 4800. What are the practical differences between the three processors..?

If there aren't any, I think I might go ahead and get an X2 4800+ instead, as it's not too expensive. I guess I'm confused about the processors, too. Can anyone tell me which is probably the best deal?

Many thanks. :)

7900 GT 7900 GTX
-256MB -512MB
-core clock 500MHZ -Core Clock 690MHZ
-memory clock 1500MHZ -memory clock 1760MHz
- -minimum 450watt PSU

Not really, XFX and Nvidia are selling stock 7900GT's at nearly 600/1600 (more like 580/1580). You could easily OC them a little further, perhaps not to 7900GTX speeds, but very close enough. And in the process, you'll save $150 because you didn't buy the 7900GTX.

Also, don't consider the X1900XTX. The X1900XT sells for nearly $400 and can overclock to X1900XTX any beyound very easily.

whats your budget for a case?
I was thinking 1-200 AUD. I'm not really sure, but they aren't that expensive, are they? I saw some really expensive ones but I figure there wouldn't be a huge amount of difference between them...

As for overclocking cards and processors, firstly, I'm not so sure about it. Doesn't it reduce the life of the component, and make cooling an issue (although I know some people said air cooling is fine with an Opteron, so I guess that isn't so bad)?

And secondly, an overclocked 7900GT being an equivalent to the GTX (nearly), isn't that the same as saying that an overclocked 7900GTX will be nearly the equivalent of whatever the next released card is (I'm just guessing, here) (same case for the 1900XTX, I suppose)?

By the way, how is that superclocked 7900GTX (the one Anthrax posted a link to (the link doesn't seem to work anymore...)) so much better than a regular GTX? Just a faster processer or what? I figured I should ask about it, as well, since I couldn't really tell how it was so much better. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom