Building $900 Budget Build - Page 5 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login

Old 08-20-2013, 03:27 PM   #41 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Re: Building $900 Budget Build

Ok so I put my OS into my SSD. But when I download and install things, it goes into my SSD instead of my Hard drive? I just want OS in my SSD.

In other words how do I make my Hard drive my "primary" drive for downloads and installs?

richarizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:42 PM   #42 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via AIM to xerolen Send a message via MSN to xerolen Send a message via Yahoo to xerolen

You have to change your default install location. Here's an official Microsoft answer as to how to do that.

xerolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 04:12 PM   #43 (permalink)
Build Guru

Every time you install a program you need to change the install directory which is usually under "custom" options.

For programs that don't offer this, follow this tutorial.
Redirecting Program Files and Program Files(x86) in Vista/Win7.

BTW, I advise keeping your browser, Skyrim (if you're playing it), and BF3 (if you're playing it) on your SSD.

Also, don't forget to follow this guide minus the tweak utility part.
SSD Tweak Guide

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 04:53 PM   #44 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
Every time you install a program you need to change the install directory which is usually under "custom" options.

For programs that don't offer this, follow this tutorial.
Redirecting Program Files and Program Files(x86) in Vista/Win7.

BTW, I advise keeping your browser, Skyrim (if you're playing it), and BF3 (if you're playing it) on your SSD.

Also, don't forget to follow this guide minus the tweak utility part.
SSD Tweak Guide
Ohhhh okay thanks for the info.

Lol I know that troubleshooting is the wrong place for this subforum but you guys are just too good and reliable that I'm used to coming here for help.

Mguire is there a guide on this website that teaches you how to reformat SSD and HDD? I need to do a clean install to manually redirect program files. Even if it's a nuisance I'll do it.

BTW I heard that reformatting your PC won't even completely delete your data (which I want) and save it. Or is it that when you reformat it's going to overwrite as opposed to deleting data, which is the same thing? Does it matter really?
richarizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:04 PM   #45 (permalink)
Build Guru

Short answer, it doesn't really matter. Doing quick formats only writes the beginning and end of the partition (or drive) with 0's so the OS thinks there is no data there. For most that is fine, and is pretty much all I do. If you ever have a virus, there are other steps you can take to make sure you can't get infected after a quick format.

All you need to do is unplug your HDD from your machine, and with only your SSD and DVD drive (or flash drive if you use it) boot into Windows. Do a format on your SSD and install Windows regularly. Once you're in Windows, turn your PC back off and plug your drive back in. Once you're booted in, do a format on your HDD then start installing your programs and such.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote