Alienware bottlenecking problems/upgrade help

Status
Not open for further replies.

ObxChillin

Beta member
Alienware aurora, 500 watt powersystem, windows 7

Specs:

Intel Core i5 650 3.2GHz (4MB Cache)
3GB DDR3 at 1333MHz (Want to upgrade to 6GB)
Single ATI 5670, 1GB GDDR5 (want a 57hundred series or better)
500GB - SATA-II 3Gb/s 7200RPM, 16MB Cache HDD

I just ordered this for x-mass. I am worried that the i5 is gonna ruin the performance on this computer if i ever want to upgrade the graphics card? Is the i7 really that much more worth it? Will it effect graphics/FPS (i play World of Warcraft)

I am hoping that this computer will bring me 70 fps if not more regularly and 50ish fps in really crowded places such as orgrimmar/or Wotlk dalaran when it was the hub so to speak.

If i was to upgrade to i7 would dell let me number 1 and will the 500watt power supply be enough for it? And with the i5 are the graphics being bottlenecks as it is or do i have room to upgrade to a 57 hundred series? Whats the highest series ati you would stick in this thing?

The i5 is good for gaming especially if you overclock it to about 4GHz. the ram upgrade should be fine with a 500wt psu however i think you would be taking a BIG risk upgrading the graphics card with that psu. i also noticed that you said it is an Alienware and i would recommend that you do not change anything until the warranty is over, but thats your choice.

Can you cancel the order? First of all the i5 series is dual channel so you should buy RAM modules in multiples of two (2GB, 4GB, 8GB). Second you're buying a CPU with a integrated GPU and a external GPU... since you're not using the integrated GPU get the i5 760 for a few more bucks, it's a true quadcore. With that PSU and with both CPU, i5 760 or i5 650, you will be able to upgrade the GPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom