Advice on new rig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asylum

In Runtime
Ok...I got my hands on this board for a good price and im going to set up a new gaming rig!! I will be installing this ram that i also got at a good price!!
My question is should i use my E8600 or go with a Q9650...The reason i ask is ive heard these boards are bad about not being able to do high speeds on your ram with the quad cores...Have they fixed this with a bios update?
Should i even bother going quad since this is mainly a gaming rig?
Ill be useing my GTX 285 and maybe another one in SLI later!!
Any body have a setup like this that can give me some tips i would be most grateful!!
And all comments are welcome!!

my dad has that board and it was a PITA to get it running and stable. i would not recommend it. go with the EVGA or a ASUS 790i ultra. the XFX is buggy.

go with the q9650 definitely. more games and apps are coming out now that use more that 2 cores.

you might be able to hit 3.8-4ghz on that board. but it aint gonna be easy.

I got the mobo installed and put my E8600 in it to test and it clocks quite well..Have it set at 4.5Ghz FSB@1800 and memory linked @ 1800 . Memtest86 over night with no errors and prime95 stable for an hour today. I have a buyer for my E8600 and want to go with a Q9650 but im scared the quad will limit my ram speed!!
Any other thoughts guys?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom