An $800 upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAVOC

Fully Optimized
So, it's bonus time. I'm looking at about $2000 after taxes for a bonus. I already have about $1200 spoken for in various other "bills". It's gonna leave me with roughly $800 to play with.

I haven't upgrade my PC core in over 2 years. I'm considering getting this done soon. I'm going to list what I have and want to continue to use. Please suggest parts from the following list.
(I'm in the US and use newegg, zipzoomfly, amazon, tiger direct.)

NEED:

1.) CPU
2.) MOTHERBOARD
3.) MEMORY
4.) AIR COOLER

HAVE: CASE, VIDEO CARD, HARD DRIVES, POWER SUPPLY, SOUND CARD

Do you have an amd or Intel fetish?

Here is my fetish :devil:

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more! $549 with $20 MIR

Newegg.com - OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3G1600LV6GK - Desktop Memory $129 with $20 MIR

Newegg.com - XIGMATEK Intel Core i7 compatible Dark Knight-S1283V 120mm Long Life Bearing CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks $45

$723 with $40 in MIR's

I7 920 get em while you can :)

I did not even use all your budget. :omg:

Which gives you room to drop the dark knight for a TRUE. Or get faster ram.

Re: A $800 upgrade

I don't care AMD or Intel.

That mobo that is listed in that combo deal, do I need a $300 mobo? What's the benefits?

Aren't the i5's out? Are the i7's that much better for a gaming PC?

i5's and i7 skt 1156 are out and great cpu's. You can definitely save some cash going i5 or PII.

Gaming performance is not much more with an i7 920. You do get into the 1366 skt while you can still get a reasonably priced cpu. That would give you some sweet upgrade options when gulftown comes out and become reasonable. You also can have triple channel ram which is not a huge benefit at this time but nice.

That evga board has better nb cooling and a lifetime warranty.

You gave me a budget and I filled it. :)

A good lesser expensive i7 board. Look for combos.
Newegg.com - ASUS P6T LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

What power supply and video card do you have? If you go AMD you may be able to Crossfire/SLI, and still save money.

Well, true, but with all this nice stuff, he should get a shiny new HD 4850 for the price right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom