5870 CrossFire Issues - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 04-05-2011, 12:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
Default 5870 CrossFire Issues

I just bought a second 5870 (Gigabyte Eyefinity 6 edition). I installed it in CrossFire with my other 5870 (Diamond branded reference design). I'm running Catalyst 11.3 (freshly reinstalled) and have the CrossFire bridge in place. The Catalyst Control Center detects two cards and shows CrossFireX as enabled. The Diagnostics window is blank.

I used the registry modification to disable power save on the second card. This way I can use MSI Afterburner to monitor the cards.

The problem is that it never uses the second GPU. The second GPU usage is almost always zero (maximum from the past hour or so is 6%). The first GPU is used to 99%. I have tried Crysis (SP Demo), Team Fortress 2, Unigine Heaven 2.1, 3D Mark Vantage, Mass Effect, and several other 3D applications in fullscreen and none of them use GPU 2. I also enabled the notification when CrossFire is running but never see the notification. I downloaded and installed the application profiles but that didn't seem to help.

What is wrong? I followed all the instructions for setting up CrossFire and it refuses to touch the second GPU. The second GPU is powered up (fan spinning, idling at 157/300) but the drivers never want to use it.

I don't think it's a power-related issue (anymore). I only have a 650W Antec PSU which from what I've read is barely enough to run dual 5870's on an i7 system, but when CrossFire is off I am running Folding@Home on both GPU's and on the CPU (overclocked to 4.1GHz) stable. By themselves both GPU's seem to work fine, but in CrossFire mode it isn't working properly. I have tried both one and two bridge connectors, it doesn't make a difference.

Old 04-05-2011, 04:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie
Default Re: 5870 CrossFire Issues

Have you tried un-installing the driver, running DriverSweeper in Safe Mode, and re-installing the driver?

Make sure both cards are fully seated. On my system, the Front Panel connectors are right under my second card and if I don't bend the wires out of the way they keep my card from seating properly, just ever so slightly but that's all it takes.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Default Re: 5870 CrossFire Issues

Not sure what the problem was but it seems to be working now. I installed Radeon Pro after switching back and forth without any luck. After installing Radeon Pro and enabling the CrossFire icon display it seems to work.

Closed Thread