$1200 - When to buy? - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-02-2008, 11:35 PM   #11 (permalink)
1337 §tatus
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Southern California
Posts: 574
Default Re: $1200 - When to buy?

Then what the **** do you do with a Nehalem? o.O
__________________

1337_JohnN is offline  
Old 11-02-2008, 11:39 PM   #12 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 32
Default Re: $1200 - When to buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337_JohnN View Post
Then what the **** do you do with a Nehalem? o.O
Haha, I need to clarify what I am asking.

I am going to get the Q9550, but do I pay the $319 now, or do I wait for it to drop in price after Nehalem is released. And if I decide to wait, when should I expect that to happen.

The question is based on the fact that after each new release, the previous models drop in price.
__________________

bigjared is offline  
Old 11-02-2008, 11:40 PM   #13 (permalink)
AKA , gt7sanremo
 
Evolv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Harrisburg,PA
Posts: 1,240
Default Re: $1200 - When to buy?

Yea, it's hard to say. The prices could drop when it comes out, or not until months later.
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Random movie quote to make you seem hip and "with it":
"Please take the chairs away. I don't like them. The big one is staring at me and that short one is being very droll."
Evolv is offline  
Old 11-02-2008, 11:42 PM   #14 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
stalin90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,371
Default Re: $1200 - When to buy?

i vote for wait cuz when i built my pc if i would have waited a week i would have saved a boat load of money, also i for got to say congrats for completing ur student teaching position.
__________________

- INTEL Q6700 @ 3.2 - ASUS P5Q Pro - EVGA 9800GTX - 4GB Patriot Viper @ 1066 -
stalin90 is offline  
Old 11-02-2008, 11:46 PM   #15 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 32
Default Re: $1200 - When to buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalin90 View Post
i vote for wait cuz when i built my pc if i would have waited a week i would have saved a boat load of money, also i for got to say congrats for completing ur student teaching position.
Still a month of solo teaching to go, but thank you!



The one thing I have going for me is that I am not going to be ordering anything until the second week of December. Hopefully I will get lucky and it will drop by then.
bigjared is offline  
Old 11-02-2008, 11:52 PM   #16 (permalink)
1337 §tatus
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Southern California
Posts: 574
Default Re: $1200 - When to buy?

Dude, just wait, because you won't even use a Nehalem, unless your freaking watching pr0n0, playing Crysis, virusscanning, forumming.... Holy **** You can do all of that with a Q9550!! Aww too bad, I ran out of ideas.. :/

...Well I guess you can launch a spaceshuttle, but that's like not enviormentally healthy.
1337_JohnN is offline  
Old 11-03-2008, 12:02 AM   #17 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
stalin90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,371
Default Re: $1200 - When to buy?

there are other benefits of getting a nehalem besides just the cpu. there is the new motherboards+chipsets, new socket, nehalem takes advantage of ddr3 unlike anything else... also the downside of getting a q9550 is if u ever want a new cpu in future thats better ur prollly gonna be limited to a q9650 or somthign cuz non of the new cpu's will work on lga 775 socket motherboards cuz the nehalem will be the i7 or w/e the new socket is
__________________

- INTEL Q6700 @ 3.2 - ASUS P5Q Pro - EVGA 9800GTX - 4GB Patriot Viper @ 1066 -
stalin90 is offline  
Old 11-03-2008, 12:05 AM   #18 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 32
Default Re: $1200 - When to buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalin90 View Post
there are other benefits of getting a nehalem besides just the cpu. there is the new motherboards+chipsets, new socket, nehalem takes advantage of ddr3 unlike anything else... also the downside of getting a q9550 is if u ever want a new cpu in future thats better ur prollly gonna be limited to a q9650 or somthign cuz non of the new cpu's will work on lga 775 socket motherboards cuz the nehalem will be the i7 or w/e the new socket is
The problem is I am a firm believer in finding the best price/performance components... and generally that means 2nd generation stuff. Do you think I could get a nehalem with one of the new boards and still stay under 1200?
bigjared is offline  
Old 11-03-2008, 12:05 AM   #19 (permalink)
1337 §tatus
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Southern California
Posts: 574
Default Re: $1200 - When to buy?

Will it be like $1000, for each Nehalem?
1337_JohnN is offline  
Old 11-03-2008, 12:11 AM   #20 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
stalin90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,371
Default Re: $1200 - When to buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjared View Post
The problem is I am a firm believer in finding the best price/performance components... and generally that means 2nd generation stuff. Do you think I could get a nehalem with one of the new boards and still stay under 1200?
i really couldnt tell u like i said im really not up to par on what there prices will be, but i do know that the 2.66 version is being preordered over in uk for £229.99 and since this is the US the price will be a bit lower prolly making it somewhere around 400 when it first comes out, also keep in mine this 2.66ghz nahalem will beat a current gen 3.2ghz in anything. also there preorder eta date is marked 11/14 so we might find out in 2 weeks what the us price is and im almost 100% positive that the current get cpu's will get a big price cut right around when they come out.
__________________

__________________

- INTEL Q6700 @ 3.2 - ASUS P5Q Pro - EVGA 9800GTX - 4GB Patriot Viper @ 1066 -
stalin90 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
dont know wether to build or buy robina_80 New Systems | Building and Buying 5 10-02-2008 12:24 AM
Best Buy Offering Gift Cards To HD-DVD Owners Osiris Monitors, Printers and Peripherals 1 03-19-2008 01:36 PM
Best Buy loses laptop, gets sued superdave1984 Off Topic Discussion 7 02-13-2008 07:20 PM
Buy GT or wait??? <[MaTT]> New Systems | Building and Buying 24 12-16-2007 05:46 AM
Best Buy or Amazon.com - Saitek Eclipse II atomic tofu Off Topic Discussion 8 10-26-2007 04:33 PM



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.