What else could it be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meyekell

Beta member
I have a computer here- I have replaced the motherboard (socket 478 with AGP slot) and the power supply. When I replaced the power supply there was an improvement from the 'power on then shut right off after sometimes beeping' to running smoothly but not doing anything else. The motherboard switch did nothing but keep it the same as it was. It sounds like the hard drive spins and it starts to go- the keyboard lights do not light up but maybe the RAM needs to be replaced (i have sticks of 256mb ddr1).

Before I sink any more money into this please help me determine what else it could be? Is it the processor? I can deal with spending a hundred for some new ram but not 500 for a new, ancient processor.

There is nothing on the screen when it is plugged into either the on board or the agp video card (regardless of whether th card is installed or not).

honestly, i hate to do this, but the best option sounds like it might be cheaper to build a new pc. you can get a decent intel mobo/cpu setup for about $200, amd for about $150, graphics for about 50 (if not used for gaming) 150 if for gaming, ram (ddr2) for about $60 for 2gb, hdd's (if your old one is still good) for about $50 for a 160gb.

but before blowing money on a new pc, how many sticks of ram do you have for the pc? try doing a barebones boot: just one stick of ram, no hdd, no graphics card(use the onboard), no cd drive, etc...just cpu and ram.

if it still doesn't boot, try resetting the bios, if still nothing, try different sticks of ram and try using different ram slots. check all power connections to the board, make sure the cpu is installed correctly with no bent/missing pins. also make sure the heatsink is installed correctly, and the power connector for the heatsink is connected to the proper connector on the board, usually near the cpu. just try all options you can think of, and report back.

and the keyboard lights not lighting up means that its not passing post. usually a cpu, ram, or motherboard problem. just use process of elimination. get some working ram, test the cpu in another computer if possible, and a known working cpu in the computer if possible also. same with the ram.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom