Still having problems with mobo upgrade. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Closed Thread
Old 02-21-2006, 11:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie
Default Still having problems with mobo upgrade.

Ok, I've been trying to upgrade my dad's comp with this older socket 370 that I found unused at work. I wiped the hard drive and installed the mobo but I get no visuals. It sounds like everything is running but I just get a black screen. I'm not quite sure where to go from there.

Old 02-21-2006, 05:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Switch

Onboard video? If your using an add-in card instead of onboard video than onboard video needs to be disabled in the BIOS first. once you disable onboard video, than you'll get a signal through your add in card and everything will be peechy.

Thats the only thing i can remember besides maybe resetting the CMOS.

Old 02-21-2006, 09:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

Ok, I've been having a **** of a time with this upgrade. Now, I do have some experience with building a comp because I did my own not too long ago and it went together great. I did find out that the motherboard I wanted to put in is most likely bad. I also discovered that the chip we got online is also not good.

I just happened to have a computer that I got from work and it was also a 370 socket. I hooked that motherboard up with my dad's old chip and I almost got things going.

I went to install windows and I got the usual blue setup screen (the one that ask if you want to install a RAID) but soon after that it goes to a black screen and nothing else happens. This is really getting to me because it just doesnt' make any sense.

I could really use some help here guys but I'm afraid because of the old equipment I may not have any luck.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

Oh and there is no onboard video, but there is onboard audio which is also messing me up because it doesn't fit in the HP case. I'm really baffled at why it goes to that black screen.

And by the way the board I finally got to work is a MSI 370 socket. That's about all I know because it came from a used computer I got at work.
Closed Thread