Small Upgrade Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

roadlesstraveled

Beta member
Hey guys and gals,

This is my first post on these forums and I'm looking for some recommendations. My current build is listed below:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16GHz stock (running at 4.0GHz stable)
Video Card: EVGA GTX 280 1GB
RAM: G.SKILL PI Black 4GB RAM (2 x 2GB)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P Motherboard
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB HDD
Backup Hard Drive: Western Digital Elements 1TB External HDD for backups
Monitor: Acer X223W 22" Monitor
PSU: Corsair 750TX 750W
HSF: XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm
XIGMATEK Retention Bracket
CD/DVD Burner: Samsung 22X
Case: NZXT Tempest

Originally this computer was built with mainly gaming in mind. That is no longer the case. I now mainly use this computer for everyday tasks, programming, and some gaming (lately it's been less than one hour each week). I also use it to run virtual pc's. I'm a computer science student and enjoy tinkering with everything inside the computer including hardware and software (which often leads to a disaster...lol, thus the 1TB external hard drive with real time syncing setup).

I have allocated $120 to upgrade my PC. The main two upgrades I have been thinking of are the following:
1) Buy another Acer X223W 22" monitor. I feel that this upgrade would really help me become more productive.
2) Slap in another 2-4GB of RAM.

I was just curious as to what some of you other members might choose to upgrade with the above specs and price range.

-Peter

You basically answered your question when you said "1) Buy another Acer X223W 22" monitor. I feel that this upgrade would really help me become more productive."

Unless your using applications that use more than 2 cores then your processor will be fine and your RAM is plenty for most programs.

- Josh.

Yea, I've pretty much decided on getting another 22" monitor but now I've got another question.

Should I go with the same Acer monitor or switch to a different brand that may be better?

Yea, I've pretty much decided on getting another 22" monitor but now I've got another question.

Should I go with the same Acer monitor or switch to a different brand that may be better?

Get yourself a price range, Find a monitor, doesn't have to be same make, LG make good screens so do samsung.

Get the best looking one with the best specifications E.G Full HD 1920x1080 + a high contrast ratio.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom